AR 2 grilles stapled?

Popsicle AR2

I inherited a pair of AR2s from my step-father that are in great shape. After spending some time in this forum understand that I need take great care when removing the grilles, if its necessary.  If it does come to that, I'm wondering if AR2 grilles are stapled or glued or both?  Thanks for all of your great insight and help!!

They are probably glued.  Paragraph 2.3 Removing the Grill in the "Restoring the AR-3a" writeup describes a couple of options for removing the grills.  I used the drywall screw option and was able to pop the grills off without damaging them.   See link below or get to it from Featured Items on the Classic Speaker Pages homepage.

www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/restoring_the_ar-3a_full_pd.pdf

9 hours ago, AR55 said:

They are probably glued.

I suppose glue is possible here, but I'm thinking they are probably stapled. The AR-2 is such an early speaker model, and I think the grille attachment possibly pre-dates the use of adhesives for this purpose. AR-2's also used that wonderful speckle-tweedy grille cloth, which makes visual location of the tiny staples even more of a challenge. The drywall screw option is a very clever and useful technique, but it will not be sufficient if staples have been used. If staples are present, you will benefit from the use of a mild magnifier to locate the staples as well as a couple of strong but delicate tools to begin to extract them. Dental pick, tiny screwdriver, needle nose pliers....these are very successful for staple removal without damaging the original (and non-replaceable) grill cloth.   

They may very well be stapled.  I have my wife's uncle's AR2 and the grill on that speaker was glued in place like the 2ax he also left with us.  My nephew happens to have my dad's AR2's.  I just checked with him, and he tells me that his grills are held in place with small staples.  It looks like your best bet is to check for staples first.

I have had four sets of AR2a's and two sets of early AR2ax's and all have had the grills stapled on. Also a pair of AR4 with stapled on grills. I have no experience with AR2's, but I would guess they are also stapled on. They have small heads so look around the perimeter.  I use a dental pick tool to carefully pry them up enough to grab with needle nose pliers..

OpYdAEV.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help.  I listened for countless to these ARs in our den as my step father Earle worked and smoked his pipe occasionally.  He introduced this poor, WV kid to opera and other and great forms of music and I want to honor his memory by giving these classics the treatment they deserve.  I'm sure Ill be back for more help as I work toward that end.  I'm so grateful to him for this gift...( he obviously knew I was listening!!) and to y'all for this fantastic resource!!  Thanks!

Staples!!!!  Many staples as you show above IARybody, in random places AND glue or some type of adhesive as well.  Thank goodness only one of the speakers needs looking into!!  The staples came out easy enough, but doing so without damaging the speaker cloth is a bear!!  I still have the bottom right corner to go, but I'm taking my time, so as not to damage cloth or grille.  More to come, and se anyone is interested I'll include  pictures.

Thanks JKent! The grilles seem brittle too.  Because they're so old I guess.  I'm thinking these 2s are late 50's -ear;u 60's.   I see jazz listed in your interests.  I'm a jazz fan myself...can't wait to listen to some Bill Evans trio through my AR2s once they're squared away.  That should be a treat!!