Pair of AR 58B speakers — free for pickup

claudel

A friend of mine who lives in a Manhattan walkup apartment (in the East Seventies near York Avenue) wishes to dispose of the AR 58B speakers she has had since the mid-1980s. Cosmetically, the speakers look almost as good as new. Both grilles are in perfect condition. The vinyl veneer, however, has come slightly loose at two corners, and like all the vinyl-clad AR speakers of that era, all the surfaces have acquired an unpleasant stickiness. The only other minus is the one you'd expect to find on 35-year-old speakers: the woofer surrounds have decayed, one of them to the point where the sound is compromised. Rather than pay someone to have the woofers refoamed, my friend prefers to get rid of these big boxes and replace them with a pair of AR M1 speakers.

Because my friend is in her seventies now, as am I, she is no longer able to comfortably lug a pair of 55-pound speakers down two flights of steps and thence heaven knows where. On her behalf, therefore, I am offering the speakers free of charge to someone who will accept the responsibility to pick them up and cart them away once and for all. I repeat, there is no charge, no fine print—but also no right of return on account of buyer's remorse or any other reason!

I invite anyone interested in getting these speakers to send me a private message so that phone and address details can be exchanged and appropriate arrangements can be made. My friend and I would both be truly pleased to see these fine speakers go to someone who will make good use of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This comment is largely meant to bump this posting higher up the queue in a last bid for attention.

As there haven't been any takers for these speakers so far, come October 1 or so they will be carted off to Staples, BestBuy, or anyone else who will take them off our hands. I am a bit surprised—saddened, too—that there is so little interest in them. With refoamed woofer surrounds, I am sure that they would perform superbly for another twenty years or more.

14 hours ago, claudel said:

I am a bit surprised—

If you were near me I would gladly take them off your hands and use as passive sub woofers.   A suggestion,  If you are willing to sell and ship as parts,  the refoamed woofers alone can be sold with little effort for around $100 a piece if you supply photos to verify condition.

16 hours ago, claudel said:

I am a bit surprised—saddened, too—that there is so little interest in them.

I gotta agree with you, claudel - - your offer here is extremely generous and I'd have thought that they would have landed in a good home by now. Very kind of you to give first crack to CSP members, but with no takers here, maybe you list them in free section of CL for Manhattan.

For those unfamiliar with this speaker model, pic is attached.

AR-58b2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My thanks to Aadams and ra.ra for their supportive comments. Thanks too to Gene for his courtesy and helpfulness with regard to the OP.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of interest in the speakers and the need to get rid of them one way or another, the speakers are going to be dumped on this coming Tuesday, September 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, genek said:

I am surprised that nobody took these, even if only to pull parts from them.

Amen.

At this point, Gene, I'd like to think that it was the two flights of stairs along with the weight of the speakers that damped enthusiasm. As my guess is that a significant proportion of the membership is, like me, looking at youth in the rear-view mirror, such a consideration would hardly be surprising!