Odd replacement tweeter

Chris1this1

Hello, just picked up this LST pair, and from all appearances, looks like they had a freshening up in the 90’s. They have the Tonegen woofers, and two mids were changed with the silver grill rear terminal versions, but lastly, 5 of the 8 tweeters were replaced with what is pictured. Is anyone familiar with these? The dome seems to be an exact match to the later AR9 style and the housing matches the earlier tweeters. The foam is glued to the front, with just the bare metal of the magnet assembly beneath it.

101B3156-54E7-403B-81F1-775D28A3129C.jpeg

7B30EA5F-59AC-41A9-A173-ACDB42BF4BAF.jpeg

46 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

Chris, David, I was about to say from the AR-11 series and I believe they have the ferro-fluid also.

P.S. How come you have another pair of LST's, I thought you were trying to sell or sold them by now ?

Frank looks like you called it, a quick search for AR11 tweeters shows very similar. I picked up this pair since they were local and a great restoration candidate. Plus I do miss the insanity of stacked LST’s so I’ll hang with these after restoring for a bit and probably eventually  move them along. 

BA2585C4-4DA9-48C1-A6EA-0BD6F2967D41.jpeg

Chris, if I may add to your uncertainty; a few years ago there was a vendor on the auction-site selling self-adhesive foam covers exactly like that.

My LST's required more of them than I was willing to pay for so I never purchased them.

Then there's the built-in deflection of the LST cabinets moldings that dissuaded me also. In that respect, those moldings present a degree of diffraction a 'purist' would find exception with. Would the foam surround help?  I'm not certain but, it doesn't seem likely.   The later "Amati" by Mark Levinson with the 'Dynaudio' drivers were all flush mounted for the obvious reasons mentioned. Newer production box speakers all tend to have flush mounted drivers as a rule avoiding such problems.

Of course being LST's * a speaker I have lusted for since their introduction),  I wasn't going to look for problems as I felt with so many tweeters projecting into the room the effects wouldn't be noticeable though I bet a purist would complain. Then again, a purist dwells with-in a different strata of speakers.

Chris, I trust those are the LST's that were offered for auction and I contemplated the purchase but, I've got to much on the table with modifying and playing with vintage tonearms and modern cartridges. You know, your AR's can only sound as good as what goes into them, garbage in equals garbage out. Besides, I'm still recovering from celebrating my 15 year anniversary last month of being on this forum so, I was fatigued.  Just the same, good luck with them.

6 hours ago, Chris1this1 said:

Hello, just picked up this LST pair, and from all appearances, looks like they had a freshening up in the 90’s. They have the Tonegen woofers, and two mids were changed with the silver grill rear terminal versions, but lastly, 5 of the 8 tweeters were replaced with what is pictured. Is anyone familiar with these? The dome seems to be an exact match to the later AR9 style and the housing matches the earlier tweeters. The foam is glued to the front, with just the bare metal of the magnet assembly beneath it.

Hi Chris,

Those are the universal replacement dome tweeter sold in the 90's by AB Tech, AR's "authorized" parts and repair shop, and was the tweeter used in the AR-3a Limited sold in the Asian market in the early 90's. It is very much like the AR-11 tweeter, as well as the current AR replacement tweeter sold by Midwest Speaker. In the 3a Limited it was used with  a 4uf series cap and a .16mh parallel coil.

Roy

Frank, 

yup those are the same pair you saw up for sale, I threw a number at him and he bit. That said, I see now he has two more pairs up at through the roof prices, but he might biggt again at a low offer. 

Roy, 

thank you for identifying these. They do seem brighter than what should be in there, I will be replacing these with the proper types. 

Crazily enough, there were lots of problems with the previous restoration attempt. The tweeters were wired incorrectly, putting one in parallel with a combination of two in parallel with one in series,  all due to a midwire at the front plane terminal. Also, the seller claimed that one woofer did not work, but the wire was actually pinched under the woofer mounting flange and I guess eventually broke off. It pays to do things right people, lol. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, RoyC said:

Do the midwest tweeter replacements use ferro fluid?  The different listings they have are just marketing for different models, correct?  The 4 ohm versions are all the same....or designed for the specific model it's listed with.  Example. The 10pi tweets at midwest are sold separate listing than 3a/9 tweets 

In sept/2021..are these still the bestfeplacemebtbtweet?  Better than modified hivi?   I desperately need A 58s set and 91 set.   Hence the ferrofluid question.  Anyone have a set I could make a "large" donation for you to help me out?

Roy's done some work for me.  I'm sure he could vouch.

Lastly, can a tweet, example, the dead 91 tweet I have with no dcr reading.  Can those sti be rebuilt.   Or no dcr measured means there toast for good?  

I've heard of a fella named Chris who repairs these.  I've got quite a few and I'm not cheap.  If anyone could turn me onto his handle, is appreciate it.  

Anyone repair 12" 3way mids and/or woofers as well?

Thanks for the help.  I don't want replacements.  I'm a purist and I'd like to get my originals working and good fit a while.  Thanks again.