KLH Model Fives I got a few months ago.

DonT

I bought this set of Fives at an estate sale about 2 months ago. Both Tweeters did not work and after checking them (They both ohm out) I am going to recap the crossovers. I have already ordered the Caps from Parts Express and am just waiting for them to be delivered.  I almost made a BIG mistake and used the permatex  high tack sealant on the surrounds after finding a thread that said it was good. But doing more research I found out that later on the people that used it said NO DON"T DO IT. So I am getting the stuff from vintage-ar  on ebay. I might need 2 orders of it but I will try just one first and if I need more I will get it. All I can say is these are some great sounding speakers even with the Tweeters not working and the base is Amazing! I can wait until they are up and running.

CIMG3759.JPG

CIMG3758.JPG

CIMG3750.JPG

CIMG3751.JPG

CIMG3961.JPG

CIMG3762.JPG

CIMG3760.JPG

CIMG3761.JPG

Welcome Don and congratulations on scoring some great speakers! And you dodged a bullet with the sealer. As you've discovered, the ONLY sealant to use is the one cooked up by our own RoyC (and sold by Vintage AR). Here's the KLH Service Bulletin regarding re-sealing: klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

The Five xo's can be tricky because of their use of double capacitors so please ask any questions.

You mentioned you've already ordered the caps. I would have suggested adding PE's foam gasket tape and also replacement resistors.

Here's a write-up on some Fives I finished about a week ago: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/10182-another-klh-model-five-rebuild/

Here are a couple, with parts lists: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/9409-another-klh-five-recap/

Here's an oldie: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/5111-klh-model-five-crossover-photos/

There are others, just search the KLH section. Good luck!

Kent

34 minutes ago, JKent said:

Welcome Don and congratulations on scoring some great speakers! And you dodged a bullet with the sealer. As you've discovered, the ONLY sealant to use is the one cooked up by our own RoyC (and sold by Vintage AR). Here's the KLH Service Bulletin regarding re-sealing: klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

The Five xo's can be tricky because of their use of double capacitors so please ask any questions.

You mentioned you've already ordered the caps. I would have suggested adding PE's foam gasket tape and also replacement resistors.

Here's a write-up on some Fives I finished about a week ago: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/10182-another-klh-model-five-rebuild/

Here are a couple, with parts lists: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/9409-another-klh-five-recap/

Here's an oldie: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/5111-klh-model-five-crossover-photos/

There are others, just search the KLH section. Good luck!

Kent

Thanks Kent. I ordered the Caps the exact same as the "oldie" you posted.

I got

2) Dayton DMPC-25 25uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

2) Dayton DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

8) Dayton DMPC-4.0 4.0uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

2) Dayton DMPC-3.0 3.0uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

As for the resistors I plan to check them when I replace the caps. If out of spec I will replace as needed. I am going to use Butyl tape to seal the speakers. It is what they used and it does not harden.

Don, 

That list is what "Rhubabrb" ordered. The 12uF caps will be paralleled with 4uF to make 16uF. That will work fine. Each xo gets one 25uF, one 16uF, three 4uF and one 3uF.

Resistors do not generally go out of spec. I like to replace 5w resistors with 10w because I have seen burned and cracked 5w resistors in KLH Fives and Twelves. But most people leave the originals.

Kent

1 hour ago, JKent said:

Don, 

That list is what "Rhubabrb" ordered. The 12uF caps will be paralleled with 4uF to make 16uF. That will work fine. Each xo gets one 25uF, one 16uF, three 4uF and one 3uF.

Resistors do not generally go out of spec. I like to replace 5w resistors with 10w because I have seen burned and cracked 5w resistors in KLH Fives and Twelves. But most people leave the originals.

Kent

Yes I looked for burnt resistors but they all look nice so I am just going to check them. i have seen several threads that show them burnt.

Yes--bad. John O'Hanlon did a scientific study with electron microscopes and the full resources of the U of Arizona to discover and explain why only fiberglass should be used in speakers designed with fg stuffing. Even Acosta-Stuff is a poor substitute.

So wear long sleeves, gloves, safety glasses and a face mask. Put the fg from each speaker in a plastic bag. When you're ready to re-stuff wear the same protection.

1 hour ago, JKent said:

Yes--bad. John O'Hanlon did a scientific study with electron microscopes and the full resources of the U of Arizona to discover and explain why only fiberglass should be used in speakers designed with fg stuffing. Even Acosta-Stuff is a poor substitute.

So wear long sleeves, gloves, safety glasses and a face mask. Put the fg from each speaker in a plastic bag. When you're ready to re-stuff wear the same protection.

Thanks, that is what I will do.

Well my capacitors should be here by Wednesday so I thought I would remove the crossovers to get ready to work on them. I have looked at a lot of posts that show people prying the plate off the inside back of the speaker. I was wondering why do this? I removed the speaker wire binding posts, took off the POT knobs, soaped up the seals around the pots and pushed them through without prying off the name plate from the inside. It worked just fine and no damage to the particleboard at all. Now I just need my caps to get here.

CIMG3967.JPG

CIMG3968.JPG

CIMG3969.JPG

CIMG3970.JPG

CIMG3966.JPG

CIMG3977.JPG

CIMG3964.JPG

No. Don't remove that plate. Absolutely no need.

Did you save the 2-piece rubber washers that go on the terminal screws to isolate them from the metal plate? Each screw has a shoulder washer on the inside and a flat washer on the outside.

-Kent

1 hour ago, JKent said:

No. Don't remove that plate. Absolutely no need.

Did you save the 2-piece rubber washers that go on the terminal screws to isolate them from the metal plate? Each screw has a shoulder washer on the inside and a flat washer on the outside.

-Kent

Yes I saved those. I see if you don't get those back dead center they will short out. I am also going to replace the big piece of foam on the pots that gets squished to seal them.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. After all the work repairing the crossovers and re-doping the surrounds I can say that these are quite possibly the best sounding speaker I have ever had. The base is AWESOME! the mid's  and high's are just great as well. I have a total of about $82.00 in these and must say they are worth 10 times that to me. The woofer sealant from Vintage AR was great and really made the final difference. Now I just need to work on the looks. 

20 minutes ago, JKent said:

Yes--They're great speakers. Underrated so often a bargain. Keep us posted on the cosmetics.

-Kent

Yes I will. And I agree they are under rated. I am real happy I found them at an estate sale for $10.00. I did not really know what I had until now!

Archived