Required - Clean Integrated Amplifier for AR-2

sudhir

Hello People,

A very dear friend of mine from Nashville, Tennessee is looking for a Amplifier for a a AR-2ax he bought recently. I'm trying to help him find an Amplifier at a reasonable price. He is looking for a simple but clean Integrated amp with or without a Phono (although that would be a bonus). Any leads, kind people? 

Regards,

Sudhir

hmmmm.... I think you need to narrow it down a bit. Vintage or new? How reasonable?

If new, Onkyo gives a lot of bang for the buck. NAD has some nice integrateds.  

For about $110, thisAudioSource may be all he needs: 50wpc, volume and balance controls https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94 or this similar Dayton https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa102-class-d-stereo-60-wpc-amplifier-auto-on--300-591 I know the AudioSource is good, not familiar with the Dayton.

If vintage, the AR amp is great but nice ones can be over $500. Or tubes, such as the Scott 299. Vintage Sherwood amps are very nice and can often be found at good prices. Harman Kardon is another good choice.

Your friend may find that a receiver is less expensive than an integrated amp and then the field really opens up.

Others will surely chime in but if you could narrow it down that would help.

-Kent

Just noticed that you're located in India, I don't ship out of the US, sorry.

I have a very clean integrated amp that is a low hour demo unit for $350, last post in this thread has pictures and details:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/10134-fs-xindak-xa8800mne-xa8550-xa8250-a06-c06-ct/

Also, consider that if you go with something vintage it will need a recap, this is plug and play.

Crutchfield has the NAD C316BEE ($379) as well as the Onkyo A-9150 ($500),  and these are nice, reliable medium-powered integrateds with phono sections; they'd be a good match with the 2ax. And the companies will probably still be in business for awhile, unlike some others. 

If your friend is looking for a little more power, Crutchfield also has the Yamaha A-S501 which is rated at 85 watts/channel for $550.

For even more capability, B&H Photo offers some excellent prices on high-powered Crown, Behringer, and QSC power amplifiers, but then you'd need a preamp. 

Buying vintage is fine if you have the repair skills, and patience.

But I'd have to respectfully differ with Ken on the venerable AR amplifier, which I'd be reluctant to leave plugged in unattended. ^_^

7 hours ago, ar_pro said:

I'd have to respectfully differ with Ken on the venerable AR amplifier, which I'd be reluctant to leave plugged in unattended. ^_^

I don't disagree. ANY vintage amp should be gone over by a qualified technician. I had a fully restored AR amp and it was a good match for AR speakers. Right now I have the AR receiver, which I re-capped and then had a professional go over thoroughly. The old stuff can be very nice IF it has been properly serviced.

-Kent (with a "t" ;))

Archived