What model crossover is this?

thornev

I have a pair of AR-2Ax speakers that require new HI and MID controls. So I bought a pair of crossovers on the almighty swap n shop board. They were advertised to be from an AR-2Ax speaker. But after opening up one of mine, this doesn't look anything like an AR-2Ax crossover.  Can anyone identify to what model AR speakers these belong?  Bonus question... Would installing these crossovers improve on the sound of my 2AX's, or should I just take the controls?  Thanks.

crossover.jpg

1 hour ago, thornev said:

I have a pair of AR-2Ax speakers that require new HI and MID controls. So I bought a pair of crossovers on the almighty swap n shop board. They were advertised to be from an AR-2Ax speaker. But after opening up one of mine, this doesn't look anything like an AR-2Ax crossover.  Can anyone identify to what model AR speakers these belong?  Bonus question... Would installing these crossovers improve on the sound of my 2AX's, or should I just take the controls?  Thanks.

They are 2nd generation AR-5 crossovers, and will not work well with your 2ax's. The pots are the only components in common with the AR-2ax crossover.

Roy

10 hours ago, thornev said:

I tried restoring the badly corroded pots in my 2Ax and it was way too difficult. 

Thorne,

This has been discussed ad nauseam but FWIW, L-pads work great, are cheap and last a long time. Good luck with the restoration!

Kent

5 minutes ago, thornev said:

Thanks, Kent.  I have read a few threads and stickies about restoring AR speaker internals. I may have missed the one about L-pads.  I'll go looking.  Thorne

Thorne,

I should have mentioned that a 4uf capacitor (top right side of the board in your photo) is also common to a 2ax crossover, but I would just use a new one.  I don't see any green crusty corrosion on the terminal rivets of your pots, which is a good sign.  Maybe they will be cleanable.

I may have a use for your AR-5 boards after you remove the pots. PM sent....

Roy

Roy- I didn't post a picture of my pots that need restoring. The pics I posted are of what I purchased. My corroded pots do have green corrosion and (I can't remember all the part names in the pots) the surface on which the wiper moves is covered with gunk that is nearly impossible to remove and the spring-like thing is partly damaged.  I bought 2 restored pots which are about 90% working (I get "blank" spots where the speaker goes off when I move the control to the "full on" position).  My plan is to use the pots from the crossover boards. I haven't opened them up yet and the seller was quite vague about what parts work and which don't so it was a crap shoot form the get go. 

I'll get to your PM later.

Thorne

6 minutes ago, thornev said:

Kent - I didn't post a picture of my pots that need restoring. The pics I posted are of what I purchased. My corroded pots do have green corrosion and (I can't remember all the part names in the pots) the surface on which the wiper moves is covered with gunk that is nearly impossible to remove and the spring-like thing is partly damaged.  I bought 2 restored pots which are about 90% working (I get "blank" spots where the speaker goes off when I move the control to the "full on" position).  My plan is to use the pots from the crossover boards. I haven't opened them up yet and the seller was quite vague about what parts work and which don't so it was a crap shoot form the get go. 

I'll get to your PM later.

Thorne

Thorne,

I'm the one sending the PM (not Kent).

I was referring to the pots on your AR-5 board. You may have better luck with those.

Roy

Hey Thorn!

Corrosion on the pot disks can be rock hard. Soak them in a solution of clear distilled vinegar and salt. Let them soak for an hour or two, until the blue corrosion is gone. Then wash and rinse with soap and water. Now you can inspect the disk surfaces for pits, eroded or missing material. I there's just very minor pitting, you can use a sanding disk with a Dremel to sand and polish them smooth.

The other possible problem is the pot wiper tip has worn through and there is a hole, or it can be completely corroded away. If just a small hole, you can fill it with some solder.

All of the above is useful only if the pots are in good condition, if not, go with Lpads.

Glenn

Archived