Ar90 #2 recap

harry398

Nice score!

I'm not sure who makes the NPE's for P.E./Dayton. It could be Bennic or Jantzen as they look like either of them.

I picked up a few small ones. 2.7uF and 3.3uF. I was amazed at the 2.7. One was spot on and the other off by a tad. The 3.3 were a different story: 5% high for both (yes I realize they are +/- 10%). On my next order I picked up 2 more 3.3uF. Same story.

Have you tried Bennic or Mundorf Ecaps?

Don't you love getting at that 6uF cap?

I recently bought Bennic NPE's from Madisound.  They did't have every value that I needed, so I had to order a few additional NPE's from Parts Express.  The PE Dayton NPE's were slightly different in style, and a bit smaller than the Bennics.  That surprised me, as I 'thought' Bennic made the Dayton NPE's.  But, I guess not?  Regardless, both seemed like good parts, and are working fine.

Oh yea, Congratulations on the new 90's!  Sweet.  I'd like a 2nd pair too.  Then I'd have at least one pair that worked!  :blink:

1 hour ago, DavidR said:

Nice score!

I'm not sure who makes the NPE's for P.E./Dayton. It could be Bennic or Jantzen as they look like either of them.

I picked up a few small ones. 2.7uF and 3.3uF. I was amazed at the 2.7. One was spot on and the other off by a tad. The 3.3 were a different story: 5% high for both (yes I realize they are +/- 10%). On my next order I picked up 2 more 3.3uF. Same story.

Have you tried Bennic or Mundorf Ecaps?

Don't you love getting at that 6uF cap?

On the 6, I went 4 +1+1=6

I like the Dayton npe.  I think made in taiwan....bennic look....

This 2nd set of ar90.....has a damaged woofer.....the rest salvageable.     I'm surprised how great they are, when placed in room correctly.   In my garage, ar3a rule.   Even more bass than my 2nd ar9 set...lol....till I run it up a bit.Lol

1518306153134-1945521142.jpg

48 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

I recently bought Bennic NPE's from Madisound.  They did't have every value that I needed, so I had to order a few additional NPE's from Parts Express.  The PE Dayton NPE's were slightly different in style, and a bit smaller than the Bennics.  That surprised me, as I 'thought' Bennic made the Dayton NPE's.  But, I guess not?  Regardless, both seemed like good parts, and are working fine.

Oh yea, Congratulations on the new 90's!  Sweet.  I'd like a 2nd pair too.  Then I'd have at least one pair that worked!  :blink:

Stimpy......I nudged you to get them done once....lol

I have also REFINISHED,recapped the ar9Lsi.......took the remaining yellow turds out, out came Dayton poly on mid and All new Dayton NPE.   WOW. JUST WOW.    they rival ar9 now......with more bass in face.  You read that right.   

Dayton npe.   Best I've heard.  Period.

12 minutes ago, harry398 said:

On the 6, I went 4 +1+1=6

I like the Dayton npe.  I think made in taiwan....bennic look....

This 2nd set of ar90.....has a damaged woofer.....the rest salvageable.     I'm surprised how great they are, when placed in room correctly.   In my garage, ar3a rule.   Even more bass than my 2nd ar9 set...lol....till I run it up a bit.Lol

1518306153134-1945521142.jpg

1 hour ago, Stimpy said:

I have also REFINISHED,recapped the ar9Lsi.......took the remaining yellow turds out, out came Dayton poly on mid and All new Dayton NPE.   WOW. JUST WOW.    they rival ar9 now......with more bass in face.  You read that right.   

9 minutes ago, harry398 said:

I know, I know.  My 90's will get there eventually.  I promise!

And Harry, speaking of 90's, do you have a pair for sale?  I've been seeing a pair on CL, and I thought maybe they were your's?  Too many speakers now (like that would be a problem)?  :D

I've used Dayton NPE's, and I've liked them.  But I usually use a small Dayton Film&Foil bypassed across the NPE's too.  Just a little extra boost.

Yes, I have toooo much stuff now.

14 sets.lol.  

The ar90 for sale are in my office service now.....I love them.    Head to head against the art they surprised me.   

Only sell for right number....too great to give away.    

They could have made the 9 in the 90 cabinet.......it's shorter and not so dominating in the room.   Anyways.......I got 2 ar90 sets......lol.......can't believe it

2 minutes ago, AR surround said:

"Poly caps are too strong sounding."   Harry, where were you with this sound advice about 13 months ago?   You remember the challenges I had recapping my AR90's...especially the UMR.  

Probably was enjoying his newly NPE recapped 90's.

I believe Ken Kantor is recommending using NPE for recaps. However, the some of the Callins are rated for 100VAC. That would be approx 200VDC. Nobody makes NPE that handle more than 100VDC (which is approx 50VAC). I can't find any.

16 minutes ago, AR surround said:

"Poly caps are too strong sounding."   Harry, where were you with this sound advice about 13 months ago?   You remember the challenges I had recapping my AR90's...especially the UMR.  

AR surround,

I have come to this realization after manyy recaps now.

I have experimented with the dayton Poly, audyn poly---which these 2 arent bad......but a touch strong at times.  depending on the speaker, can get a little edgy or shiny...or however you want to characterize it.     The midrange is usually where I find the issue.

The big realization was with my ar9lsi.   They were redone by the seller with erse yellow monsters....and never sounded right to me....very harsh, edgy and just aweful.  I hated them.   I slowly went in and made changes.   Last weekend I had enough and went in and replaced them all with dayton NPE.  WHAT A DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT.   soft-smooth-and best of all...CLEAR.   they had a viel in front of them before with all the harshness. 

The last 6 recaps have all been cheeeeepie dayton NPE and they are the best for me.   try it.  you'll like it.  :D

1 minute ago, DavidR said:

Some have characterized the (yellow) mylar/polyester caps as being harsh. I have some ERSE in the drawer but never tried them.

do yourself a huge favor.  never use them and avoid the headaches involved.   Horrible.

would not believe it.....but its my experience.   When i see them I get pissed off.  

I had removed them from the midrange circuit last year on the ar9lsi, and huge improvement, but had left others in........until last weekend.  BIG IMPROVEMENT.

What are your plans for the ar9 David?   I Like them alot.   2 sets of those here.......   ultra clear, deep lows, need good placement....but they are sniper accurate.  

Other than the cabinets that need some work I too have decided to use NPE. I will use Mundorf ECaps on the smaller values and bypass with a Vishay 1837 cap. The larger will be Bennic or P.E.

I'm more excited about the 10pi. I want to try them with my tube amp in place of the AR91 (which have polypro caps - But had to bypass the 2 series caps).

Attached pics from the internet.

AR_recap_3_zps2ca24a6c.jpg

AR9_Recap_2_zpsefa.jpg

Archived