Ar90 #2 recap

harry398

Interesting note about NPE's:   I used Parts Express NPE's to recap Boston Acoustics A70 2-way speakers.   The result was "too hot"...much like using poly caps.   I added a 1/2 ohm series resistor which improved things somewhat; but I only achieved the sound I wanted after adding a 0.01uF Dayton F&F bypass across the NPE.

If you recall from one of my earlier threads, adding a Dayton F&F bypass across the series Mundorf ECaps used for the AR9/90 UMR also improved the sonics quite a bit.

31 minutes ago, AR surround said:

Interesting note about NPE's:   I used Parts Express NPE's to recap Boston Acoustics A70 2-way speakers.   The result was "too hot"...much like using poly caps.   I added a 1/2 ohm series resistor which improved things somewhat; but I only achieved the sound I wanted after adding a 0.01uF Dayton F&F bypass across the NPE.

If you recall from one of my earlier threads, adding a Dayton F&F bypass across the series Mundorf ECaps used for the AR9/90 UMR also improved the sonics quite a bit.

That's possible.

Any thing is possible.

The last cap jobs I have done, ar9,ar9,ar9lsi,ar90,ar9lsi are all Dayton npe, no bypass.  Smooth as glass.  All of them.

Inherent speaker character is part of it, and further illustrates bean counter elimination of POTS and their importance in fine tuning the end sound.

I'm a novice.

Archived