Looking for a set of KLH speakers

MOEB74

Hey guys,

So I came here out of the necessity of research, and learned a lot considering I didnt come here to learn! haha. Anyway, Im getting into Vinyl for my first time and gravitated towards the classic look of the KLH line/era of speakers. If some of the veterans on KLH could give me a hand, Id appreciate it.  I found some local KLHs and they all seem to be Model 17s. I said okay, doesnt seem bad, Ive seen them mentioned here a lot on the forums etc. BUT, more and more reading showed that I maybe should be after the 5 or 23 Model... I pretty much listed to all music, and maybe even some pop/hip-hop ( Im younger than most here Id assume :D ).

Here is my conundrum: What model should I go with? These arent CHEAP in my area, so I would be spending a minimum 150 a set it seems on what I have available now, which are 17s. I see some sets on ebay, but then shipping is now added... All in all, what model should I go with that would be best. I dont mind spending the money one time, be happy etc. Versus buying something and then buying another and so on...

Thanks guys!

edited: They will be powered by a Technics SA-400

Welcome MOEB74

The 17s are nice but the 23s are nicer and the Fives are a big step above. Another consideration: Model Twelves. They're very large and sound great, with plenty of bass but because of their size many people don't want them. I bought a pair locally for $100, including a Model Eighteen tuner. If you can find a pair cheap, WITH the contour boxes and you have room they'd be great.

There are other KLH speakers that are good, including the Fours and Sixes but my choice would be the Fives.

-Kent

KLH ad p1 resized.jpg

KLH ad p2 resized.jpg

Thanks! Yeah Ive seen those big things mentioned here. Im after a smaller speaker that I can set on top of something for now. Ideally the 5's Id like to get, and I saw an older post where you sold yours not too long ago. Im not too far neither, oh well.

Are these things safe to ship say form ebay or other members? Maybe I could get lucky and get a set from someone here...

Also I might just get the 17s for now until I can get something better...

Put a "wanted" post in the For Sale/Wanted section and mention your location. Maybe someone local to you has some for sale.

Shipping is always dicey. I've safely shipped KLH Model Eight tube radios to Asia but a Model Five speaker got dropped and banged up between NJ and Maine. Go figure.

I have a beautiful pair of Model Fives that I had JKent rebuild the crossovers on. I have never heard a more pleasant sounding speaker and I've owned dozens of pairs including AR, Advent, older Infinity, vintage polk, klipsch, etc.

They are just amazing for me. And very attractive. JKent did a great job and was very helpful in my restoration process. They will be willed to my son when I die!

Archived