Advent fried egg tweeter - cage pushed in

sparklow

I have a wire cage on one of the tweeters on a 1978 new large Advent that is pushed in far enough to touch and limit the dome of the driver. I recently acquired these speakers and I am beginning the restore process. I think the tweeter is fine but I need to pull the wire cage around the face of it so it is not touching the cone. The other tweeter is good so I have that one to go by. Any ideas how to proceed? IMG_0119.JPG

Welcome sparklow!

Disclaimer: I've never done this on an Advent tweeter but my guess is you can pry that cage off pretty easily. At least that's the case with AR mids.

Where the dome is pushed in, once the cage is off wet the dome then get a piece of tubing a little bigger than the dome and suck it out. Let it dry and coat with a diluted mix of white glue to strengthen the creased part. 

-Kent

I have carefully cut away the mesh grill from most of the dome. It is pushed in and I have had no luck using suction to re expand the creased in section. It appears to me that the paper dome is thick in the middle. Someone more familiar with an Advent tweeter might be able to verify this. Am I likely to be able to use this tweeter with a portion of the center dome pushed in? 

I haven't tried wetting the tweeter cones but I don't think water will soak in because the paper is "painted" with light bulb die and is probably not porous. It wouldn't hurt anything to try it, though.

As I wrote on AK, I have pulled out dents in them by pricking with a needle and pulling out at the same time, carefully! Then use an acetate type cement to cover the holes.

I don't understand how people can be so careless with those tweeters. Advent battled people ruining them from the beginning with finally installing the grilles right on the tweeter and people STILL ruined them. Jeez.

Doug 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, you won't be able to pull this tweeter's dome out with vacuum as it's too stiff. I was able to pull one out by carefully gluing a tiny, wood, toothpick-like dowel to the dome, letting it dry & pulling it out. If you use too much glue you'll ruin the dome.  It's the same technique some body shops use to pull out a dent.  They can always use Bondo if they create a hole; you can't, so beware. 

Archived