The AR 2X.... opinions?....

lakecat

Looked in library and found nothing on them. I traded a Nikko NR1019 for a pair of these and a pair of 2 ax's at the Midwest Audio Fest in July. I have since sold the ax's as I they were the later pair with ceramic woofers and I have an early pair. I have refinished the cabs on the 2x's and had a helluva time getting the grills off...as I found out they are stapled as well as glued!....sigh. So ordered new grill cloth and made one new grill. I haven't even listened to them yet but they are very nice and was cared for by the previous owner...or owners. The papers on back are all there and in really great shape. I just can't find much info on them? 

There seems to be a lot of AR2 versions that they put out. Seems a little odd....but hopefully they sound good enough without having to tear into the guts. How are these on the AR scale?

Souped-up AR-2, not quite the 2ax, but I like mine a lot.

If they have the original caps, you'll get better sound if you replace them.

11 minutes ago, dxho said:

Souped-up AR-2, not quite the 2ax, but I like mine a lot.

If they have the original caps, you'll get better sound if you replace them.

Here is a pic of what mine look like....just haven't taken a pic yet. This is a google pic....  wondering if yours are like this?

ar2x speaker.jpg

Hey L-cat, even though that is not your pair in the pic, those are mighty nice. I've never owned 2x's, but as you probably already know - - very much like the 2ax model - - there was an 'early' and a 'late' version of the AR-2x. You have the first generation; the later version is attached in pic.

Your 2x's have that great 10" cloth-alnico woofer and the tweeter from the AR-4, while the later 2x's have the foam-alnico woofer and the tweeter from the AR-4x. Crossovers should be correspondingly different as expected: 6uF for early; 20uF for later - -  am not sure about coil designations.

Performance? Much like the description above, I think you can expect the early 2x to be much like an AR-4 but with a bigger bottom; and likewise, the later 2x has distinct similarities to the AR-4x but with deeper LF extension. 

Regarding the caps, if your crossover looks like this one, it's probably prudent to replace the cap (and clean/replace the pot).

AR-2x cropped.jpg

AR-2x x-o (old).jpg

2 hours ago, lakecat said:

Here is a pic of what mine look like....just haven't taken a pic yet. This is a google pic....  wondering if yours are like this?

ar2x speaker.jpg

I added what looks like the tweeter above to a pair of AR-2s. Really nice low as well as high
extension now.

installed.jpg

5 hours ago, larrybody said:

Like these

CuJtsys.png

Yes. These were my first ARs, so I had a sentimental attachment. But I also could never
accept the lack of high end. Only took me ~20 years to upgrade :-)

Thanks for reply guys. Guess I will replace cap and hopefully just clean pot since I went to the trouble of refinishing cabs. 

Was out of town for a wedding this weekend and ended up screwing up my back so the 2x will have to wait....:) Did a keg of beer get heavier in the last twenty years?....sigh...

Archived