Ar3 for $2,600?

DavidDru

This AR3s pair for $2600 has just relisted,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Acoustic-Research-AR-3-SPEAKERS-/282632583105?hash=item41ce36f7c1:g:qIQAAOSwL9hZkgHq
About the AR3s pair listed for $4999,, that one is very LOW serial number C-0016 & C-0138...It is worth 5K for some collectors if the cabinets are not trashed... So far as I know at this time , the number # 1, lowest serial numbers ( C-0006 &C-0025) had been belonged to -Tom , this 4.99K pair is # 2, the 3rd lowest serial numbers C-0168 was sitting at the Far East side..

I understand paying what seems unreasonable to others if you really want something. I am doing it right now. I could get a better modern example of what I am bidding on for my max bid price. But, I am curious about the particular design and technology and sound of the item that I am trying to obtain. That is why I consider audio a hobby. An expensive one at that. I love looking at the old Allied catalogs that someone was kind enough to post post by page online. Not only is the selection of audio equipment incredible, the descriptions are informative and the prices back in the 1960's make me want to cry.  

On the topic of the insanely ever increasing cost of AR's, hasn't anyone thought of the coupled cost of replacement parts such as tweeters, mids, woofers?

This insanity will make it difficult for us all which out weighs the wide-smile on many faces feeling happy that their speakers are worth more.

On 8/31/2017 at 8:50 PM, frankmarsi said:

Thanks DavidDru, you've just given me a reason to ponder future possibilities of new systems. Which ones do you have?

It's not that my AR-LST's are getting boring, no, far from it but, those Apogees were surely most attractive.

I have the Slant 6.  Purchased for the remarkable price of $100 knowing the ribbons were in need of replacement.  So for about $550 Graz tells me I have $5,000 speakers.  I set of the Slant 8's sold here recently for I believe around $1,200.  

I have a pair of AR 3a's. I have never heard a pair of 3's. But, the 3's have some advantages in my opinion. With the cloth surround woofer, you never need to refoam. I believe some 3a's have the cloth surround woofer. And it seems to me from what I have read and even by the appearance, the 3 has a better tweeter. It is more rugged and probably is more efficient than the tweeter in the 3. The 3a tweeter is supposed to have better dispersion but personally I would rather have the tweeter from the 3. If the 3a tweeter was as good as the 3 tweeter, I probably would not have a pair of HiVi Q1R's in my pair. Does anyone know that the dome of the 3 tweeter is made from ? Consumer Reports preferred the sound of the 3 compared to the 3a. And when it comes to prices....well the 3 is much more rare. I wish I had a pair of 3's. 

• 7 months later...

I would love to hear a set of 3's , I love my 90's and my 11's even though they sound nothing like each other. The 11's have a upper midrange some people don't like. They both have there moments. I don't think enough is said about the source material. The 90's go low with authority but the 11's have times when they outshine the 90's Example: There is a drum solo at the end of Not fade away on The Greatful Dead live at Cornell university. This album blows me away for a live recording in 1977. Sounds good on the 90's but sings on the 11's. I like that upper mid range that seems to be more pronounced on the 11's. I bought a set of 3a's that need to be restored and look forward to hearing once complete. When I bought my first set of AR's I had no idea I would be hooked lol . I don't think I will ever be able to afford a set of 3's.  Oh well lot's of other good AR's out there that don't cost 2600.00 bucks!!

Archived