WTB: KLH Model Sixteen

Greetings!

I just learned of the KLH Model Sixteen integrated amp.  I would love to find one in good condition.

I have the rest of the components to make a great KLH "teen" stereo:  A Model Eighteen in fantastic condition, and a pair of (almost unused) Model Fourteen B still in the boxes.

Thanks for looking.

Peter

KLH 16.jpg

Hey, that's a great looking amplifier, and I suspect a fairly rare beast. Very simple, spartan appearance, and it's very unusual to see a two-step loudness switch. More knowledgeable KLH fans may be able to date or comment on this product, but what's curious to me is that the rear labeling suggests a date prior to the use of zip codes in addresses (1963), at a time when tube amplifiers (HH Scott, e.g.) were still popular in home audio. Rear views attached.

KLH sixteen amp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am a big KLH fan. I have over 20pr of speakers and systems, from odel 12's, 6,s, 5s,17's as well as the rare Model 20+, I read an article recently on the Model 16 (See info below.) It states the the Units made Mid 1694 performed much better than the first launch Model 16's.

Enjoy building & listening to your system.

"We tested two Model 16 amplifiers, one an early production unit, the other a refined version that went into production around mid-1964. The first unit met or exceeded its published specifications, but it had excessive hiss in its phono preamp stage, its tone controls did not yield flat response in their Flat positions (the errors amounted to about 2dB at 50Hz and 10kHz), the two halves of the volume control tracked very poorly (with a 10dB difference at some settings below 10 o'clock), and the sound was quite gritty at low volume levels.

The second sample was just as good in the specs department, and had virtually none of the problems of the earlier unit. Response and power output checks (both channels driven) verified the manufacturer's claims, as did noise measurements. As is customary, the noise spec is referred to full power output, presumably with the volume control all the way down. The acid test for transistorized components, and one which most of them fail miserably, is the noise measurement through the phono preamp stage, relative to a given level of input signal. Our second sample Model 16 measured 47dB down in one channel and 50dB down in the other, relative to a 10mV, 1kHz input. All of this noise was hiss, and it was low enough that it was barely audible through a speaker of typically low efficiency with the gain wide open and one ear right in front of the speaker."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/sound-transistors-klh-model-16-amplifier#VdlXYefWwsZHlpS5.99

Thanks Skinnidog and welcome!

I, too, am a KLH fan. I "had" a Model Sixteen and sometimes regret having sold it but I had no need for it and it would have been a "display" piece. Better that it went to someone who will use it. I did keep the Model Eighteen that I bought new in 1969.

Just as an aside--any Model Sixteen should be checked by a qualified tech and will almost certainly need a bunch of new capacitors, as mine did. If I were to get one today I'd do a full re-cap, then have a tech check it over.

Nice low-power amp.

-Kent

KLH 18_16.jpg

That's a fine-looking pair of vintage components. Not to derail this thread about the Sixteen integrated amp, but I'm curious about the volume control on the Eighteen tuner - -  does this thing have some sort of pre-amp included in the circuitry?

The Eighteen can be used without a pre-amp, which is what I did when I was a poor college student in '69. There are 2 sets of RCA output jacks: Fixed and Volume controlled. My first stereo was the Eighteen, a Dynakit ST-35 power amp and a pair of headphones.

The volume controlled outputs were intended to be connected to KLH phonographs (model Eleven, Eleven-W or Fifteen).  The manual states "When properly connected to your KLH phonograph, the Model Eighteen's volume level will be governed by its own Volume control as well as the phonograph's." Apparently this was to avoid big differences in volume between phono and Tuner.

• 2 years later...

Congrats! Your patience paid off! And do you have the Seventeens yet?

Please keep us posted on this. That's a nice, solid amp with a classy subtle look.

• 1 year later...

I have one too. I just plugged it in for the first time after it has been in a closet for 20 years and after a few minutes it started to smoke.  I unplugged it right away and took off the cover and could not see any damage.  Could have been dust. What should I do with it now?  Is it worth fixing?

Hey Herb. Welcome to the CSP.

The Sixteen is a nice amp but as you discovered the hard way, it needs to be properly serviced before being played. I don't know whether you've done any damage but I do believe it's worth fixing.

I had mine serviced by Tim at Bristol Electronics in NJ 201-447-4299. He knows what he's doing with these old amps. OTOH, if you decide to sell it as is I may be interested. Send me a PM.

Kent