Market for LST

TGood

Hey guys, new to the forum. I am resurrecting a pair of LST's that have been in storage for about 20 years. Just ordered new surrounds to replace the deteriorated ones. Mids and tweeters all test well. Cabs need a bit of restoration but nothing serious. I just don't have the room for large speakers any longer so is there a market for these babys? Thanks, T

Welcome, TGood, and that's a heckuva first post to this forum. There is most definitely a very enthusiastic market for LST's, but they are such a rare and unusual speaker model that they do present very specific issues with regards to restoration, sale advertising, and certainly shipment (only in crates!). If you post more information - - i.e. serial numbers, history, and photos, - - you will get some great specific advice from the members here.

As with anything else, they're worth what someone is willing to pay the day you decide to offer them for sale. Probably $1000+ for a pair in decent working condition, to $3000+ for a pristine pair with all its history documented.

Great speakers! Rare and desirable. To bad you don't have the room for them as I suspect when you hear them you'll want to keep them.

I have the LST-2's and they are fabulous! 

Please post lots of pics!

Glenn

Thanks to all for the response. I have ordered the replacement surround kit from Simply Speakers having done quite a few sound and musical instrument speaker surrounds and re-cones in the past. I will post photos later today of the speakers in their current condition. I plan on following the standard cabinet restoration using the Howards and Watco product recommendation in earlier posts (only the tops are slightly discolored from water marks but the bottoms do have considerable scratches) I am the original owner and these were purchased when I worked in the industry. Sadly I have gone all digital and FLAC due to space constraints and have sold my 3500 vinyl collection and listing the last of the vintage audio equipment that has been in storage as well.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, TGood said:

...Sadly I have gone all digital and FLAC due to space constraints and have sold my 3500 vinyl collection and listing the last of the vintage audio equipment that has been in storage as well.

But you still have to play digital sources through loudspeakers.  I do not uphold the view that any piece of vintage gear should only be used in a hifi chain of exclusively vintage gear. That would be so limiting.

2 hours ago, Jeff_C said:

But you still have to play digital sources through loudspeakers.  I do not uphold the view that any piece of vintage gear should only be used in a hifi chain of exclusively vintage gear. That would be so limiting.

Agreed - I stream a PC FLAC jukebox through a Schiit DAC into Pioneer A88x and and out a pair of 61 year old AR1/Janszen 130's.....the sound is awesome.....

Archived