10" woofer surrounds

TimmyTonga

Would anyone be so kind as to confirm or otherwise whether these are the Boston filled fillet surrounds recommended on this board for the 10" woofer of, say, an AR-5?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171900109201

Or indeed whether they can be had cheaper anywhere else.....

with the exchange rate as it is any kind of import to the UK is a painful experience.

cheers

tim

The small picture isn't clear, but the description of the filleted surrounds they are selling is. The fillet is there for a purpose to minimize cone edge breakup. Can't help you with a Euro-source for those though. Best to pay the shipping and get the right thing. They will last many years.

I downloaded the picture to my hard drive and enlarged it. It became a bit fuzzy. It was difficult to tell. In some sections I said yes, in others I said no. But as Carl pointed out the description is and Rick Cobb/Looneytune2001 would know what he is talking about. A quick email to the Seller wouldn't hurt.

Tim,

I don't know if you get a price break for shopping in the Commonwealth but if you do give Audiodogs a ring on the auction site. He is in Canada.

He normally ships JBL foams for the AR 10" woofers but also carries the Boston FF. I've used both and they are different but I haven't gotten around to trying any serious comparisons.

Roger

If you want to try shopping closer to home you could try this site

http://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/index.php?action=page&group_id=10000033&lang=en#.WBh0GYXXKUk

They sell foam for AR, Boston, JBL and more.  They usually show the model of woofer for which each foam is intended. If you click on a particular foam it will show the part number, and the same part covers most AR 10 inch woofers for instance. I am unsure what "filleted foam" means and none of their descriptions seem to mention filleted foam.

I suggest you email them to make sure they have exactly what you are looking for  info@goodhifi.com

I have found them very helpful.

The Boston FF surrounds have a gradual slope on the leading edge rather than a distinctive roll crease as shown below from the previously posted photo by Larry.

They are also somewhat porous in comparison to the JBL foams which display the standard roll crease. The JBL foams are much thinner than generic foams and also highly compliant.

I believe the consensus here is that generic foams if used in AR systems will cause a loss of bass extension.

BostonFF.surround.jpg

Roger

12 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Is it true that the JBL 125A woofer surround works for the 10" AR woofer too?  I've read that, but I wasn't 100% sure?

JBL surround

Also, I've seen the term 'fillet surround' many times.  But, what does it mean?  What's a filled fillet surround?   :blink:

Thanks!

The purpose of the fillet is to minimize cone edge break up that causes freq. response spikes. A number of AR woofer specs are written instruction that a bead of a soft polymer be applied to the inside edge of the then non-filleted foam surrounds. AR discovered early on this trick. The foam makers caught on and the rest is history. 

1 hour ago, Carlspeak said:

The purpose of the fillet is to minimize cone edge break up that causes freq. response spikes. A number of AR woofer specs are written instruction that a bead of a soft polymer be applied to the inside edge of the then non-filleted foam surrounds. AR discovered early on this trick. The foam makers caught on and the rest is history. 

Thanks Carl.  That makes perfect sense!

IIRC my 8 inch woofers were factory treated with two very thin adjacent  lines of soft polymer bead around the inner edge circumference of the foam. It peeled off very easily, when I did the refoam.

Thanks to Jeff and Roger for their sourcing suggestions. The Boston FF doesn't seem to have made it over to Europe, but carriage from Canada is a good deal cheaper than from the USA, although the import tax is the same. So looks like I'm going with the audiodog. Ruff!

6 hours ago, Jeff_C said:

IIRC my 8 inch woofers were factory treated with two very thin adjacent  lines of soft polymer bead around the inner edge circumference of the foam. It peeled off very easily, when I did the refoam.

The 8 inch AR woofer is where I remember seeing the AR drawing calling for the polymer bead. It would be difficult now to duplicate following a DIY refoam with a standard non-filleted foam. However, there is an 8 in fillited foam available for BA and other speakers. I've also used them for AR4x woofers. Perfect fit and you gain the benefit of the fillet and very compliant foam.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to re-foam a pair of AR (tone-gen) 1210037-2A 8 in. woofers today and they had the polymer bead around the inner roll edge.

IMG_0606_zps2cybuj96.jpg

When I am finished with the new foams, what if I lay down a bead of some clear silicone to mimic the original foams.  

When I re-foamed the 037 8" woofer, I did not use the filled fillet foams and was wondering the same thing. The bead of clear material sure feels like silicone, so maybe it can be easily re-created with a new application, but I suspect it would be difficult to assess the resulting performance without measurements and test equipment. By the way, good idea not to remove and replace that particular dust cap - - the material is so thin and loose that it is difficult to re-install - - I learned the hard way.  

re-foamed woofer.jpg

Archived