AR-SRC endeavor

owlsplace

Couldn't resist posting this photo of Kent's SRC that arrived today.

AR-SRC.001.jpg

It seems SRC's are not prone to impact damage -- they just seem to fade away and refuse to accept input from their remotes.

I'm limited on test equipment but if anyone can pinpoint a schematic that seems like a great place to start this project.

Previous discussion leading to this event:

Roger

You must've had the same shipping crew on duty that I had when I received this package. I thought I was purchasing two AR-7 woofers, but only one arrived, and it was torn and punctured (but eventually useable).

AR-7 woofs.jpg

Incredible! Big "FRAGILE" stickers on every side. I trust the inner box was OK. It was insured, so if you need to file a claim.....

I have tried to locate a schematic. Even emailed back & forth with Ken Kantor himself (a very nice guy) and even he could not locate one. So I think schematics are unobtainium. When I recapped it I just used same value (uF) higher voltage good quality caps. 

-Kent

14 hours ago, JKent said:

Incredible! Big "FRAGILE" stickers on every side. I trust the inner box was OK. It was insured, so if you need to file a claim.....

I have tried to locate a schematic. Even emailed back & forth with Ken Kantor himself (a very nice guy) and even he could not locate one. So I think schematics are unobtainium. When I recapped it I just used same value (uF) higher voltage good quality caps. 

-Kent

Kent,

Your packing was excellent and the unit arrived unscathed but I thought the crushed box was humorous with the fragile labeling. 

Ok, I guess maybe cobbling together some kind of block diagram may be a place to start with this project. Worst case scenario would be disassembling the working unit for comparison and trashing it in the process .... Inquiring minds want to know!

Looks like the eprom may be the "Achilles' heel" here, program, flashing, etc.:

P1010764.edit1jpg.jpg

Roger

That would be great. I'd like to know about his mods.

Looks like you have to be a member to contact him. I'll try joining (although I'm not a computer audiophile).

Kent

PS: I just registered and sent him a PM. Will let you know if I get a reply.

I DID hear back from Kal Rubinson (Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile). Thanks ar_pro!

He has promised to send some info so I'll be sure to post it as soon as it's received.

-Kent

6 hours ago, JKent said:

I DID hear back from Kal Rubinson (Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile). Thanks ar_pro!

He has promised to send some info so I'll be sure to post it as soon as it's received.

-Kent

You da man :D

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2016 at 11:16 AM, JKent said:

Well, Kal’s a good guy! He took time to send me his schematic (attached) and some notes:

• C101, C102:  Upgraded and bypassed, 10mf, 25V
  • R101,R102,R107-R116: Replaced with 33K metal film
  • R119, R120: Replaced with 333ohms metal film
  • R117, R118: Replaced with 100K metal film
  • Replaced 4136 with TLO75

I followed up with some questions. Kal had “hoped” the TL075 would provide an improvement over the 4136 but  “it was not apparent”.

The TL075 is kind of hard to find. There's this adaptor, which looks interesting: http://cimarrontechnology.com/rc4136upgradeadapter.aspx

-Kent

ARSRCa.pdf

Archived