Help wiht Fisher XP-18s and Amp Overheating

Can anyone help me with my issue of overheating amps with my Fisher XP-18s? I was able to listen to them for a month or so after I got them, at high volumes, but one day they just started overheating every amp I could throw at them. I've overheated a 1992 Sony home theater amp, a late 1980s Hafler PA amp, a QSC 1500 watt PA amp and brand new Sony home theater amp. I feel like it has to be the impedance or maybe a faulty connection in the speakers at this point. Every amp overheats now within five minutes of low to mid-volume use. Any ideas?

Wow, those things look like they'd make an amp overheat, even if they were in
good shape: 4-way/5-speaker with an 18" woofer.

Besides drivers or wiring, the only other concern might be crossover components.
It's got to be a complicated setup, and if it has/they have never been refurbed...

I can almost guarantee trouble if they contain the Callins/whatever other name they
were called capacitors (black body and red ends). Your speakers were built in their
heyday. Obligatory request: pictures would help.

Here are some pics of the speakers. I'm not too excited to tear them apart as they sounded amazing a couple months ago. I just can't keep any amp from overheating.

Here's also a link to some actual specs. I've not been able to find GREAT information on them but this may be helpful to someone who knows more about this type of vintage speaker. Most of my experience has been with PA setups and that's a completely different animal.

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

IMAG0988.jpg

IMAG0990.jpg

16 hours ago, MikeB said:

I'm not too excited to tear them apart as they sounded amazing a couple months ago. I just can't keep any amp from overheating.

Welcome Mike

I think tearing into the speakers is preferable to the damage the problem may be causing.

I'm not at all familiar with these but it looks like that back panel comes off, so it may not be too hard to get inside, look for loose wires and inspect the crossover. If you do, please post pics of the innerds.

-Kent

The backs will come right off and you will get easy access to everything.  I have the little brother of those the XP10's.  here are a few shots of those innerds.  I would not be surprised if the tweeters are part the issue.  Be very carefull with them.  Rarely will you find any that still work and they are not replaceable unless salvaged.  Those were the original silk dome as designed by William Hecht.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about them.  There has been a set available here in the area to me but I just have not pulled the trigger at the asking price of $400.  Comparable to the Wharfedale W90.

1030151415_resized.jpg

1030151416a_resized.jpg

1030151424_resized.jpg

1030151618a_resized.jpg

arrival shot.jpg

1030151421_resized.jpg

Thanks so much for information! I pulled the back off of one tonight. Pics are below. It looks like there was definitely an issue on the back panel with heat at some point. From the pics I've found of these speakers so far I'm not finding that they were loaded with insulation. This leads me to believe that the were apart once before so I'm now not sure how much of these are still original. I'll take any and all information/suggestions/opinions you all have as to how to get these beauties back up and running.

Speaker 1.jpg

Speaker 2.jpg

Speaker 3.jpg

Speaker 4.jpg

Speaker 5.jpg

Speaker 6.jpg

Those inductors are looking sad. I had one like that in a Cizek speaker. Probably did not affect their values but it wouldn't hurt to compare them to the ones in the other speaker with an LC meter.

Wonder what caused the heat.

Resistors look OK in the photos but I'd check for any scorching or cracking.

Those Callins PVC caps are notorious for leaking and drifting so I'd change them all.

-Kent

Archived