Just acquired rare Pioneer HPM-150's

in mint shape...and these things produce. Goes down to 25hz without a sweat. Nice extended highs with the very cool looking super tweeter. One of the best speakers I have owned in my short collecting timeframe. I got it in a package deal with a Pioneer SX-1980 and have it hooked up to the 150's. The combo is fantastic to hear and very, very musical....as I can enjoy music on this set-up that I really didn't care to listen to in the past. Odd I know...but even my wife has said, "Wow....I don't even care for that song but sounds good thru those speakers."...lol Keepers for sure.

Have my AR303's hooked up to this system also.

11 hours ago, owlsplace said:

Nice, my original electronics back in the mid-70s was Pioneer and they got better after that. I won't ask how the 303's compare -- they look like different animals.

Roger

They actually compare favorably. If i want loud precise music....I go to the 303's. That is over 70 watts. The 150's were produced few in number and the woofers pretty much unattainable....so it gets babied...lol. They both can do 250 watts.....but room is way too small for that. But those 150's have a presence that just wraps you in the music.

My goal is to find a pair of spare woofers for them....but highly unlikely. I do have spare drivers for the 303's. 

I have tried to play both together but failed with the blending. Like taking two beautiful women out on same date!....:)

I had a pair of HPM100's (200w) for a while and they were very strong.  Could handle a load without breaking a sweat for sure.  I bet the 150's are fantastic, especially with the 1980.  When I had teh HPm100's I did not have the SX5580 receiver (black version of the 1050) that I do now and I wish I did so I could have tried the match.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, DavidDru said:

I had a pair of HPM100's (200w) for a while and they were very strong.  Could handle a load without breaking a sweat for sure.  I bet the 150's are fantastic, especially with the 1980.  When I had teh HPm100's I did not have the SX5580 receiver (black version of the 1050) that I do now and I wish I did so I could have tried the match.

I had a pair of 200w HPM-100's also and really liked them after recapping....but those tweeters was just a little too bright for me at volume. I had a pair of JBL L166's that were the same way....liked them but too bright for my ears....so off they went. The 150's has about the same tweeter setup as the 100's but it doesn't come across as bright....but I don't really challenge it as they are my collectable. I have a pair of Sansui SP-5500's that are also from that time period and big like the 150's. Both are standouts in the early 70's development of audio and also is my collectable. Both have unique looks and sound really good with the 70's music I like.

Agreed.  I have been watching for those SP-5500 or even the 3500's - without the x - to come along.  Pre "kabuki' designs. I have some Sp-200's that are relatively nice.  Good looking wood once cleaned up.

Nothing like the Wharfedales I have been playing with as of late though :D  Opposite character.

Archived