1967 KLH model 5 refurbish (1967?)

stupidhead

I realize this is old but I just picked up two KLH Model 5 which both looked to have had some work done to include caps relaxed. One said 1986 in the back. Both workers were marked July 1968. They sound pretty good to my ears but wondering if I should go through a recap. I included pics of the two. Some smaller blue caps in one.  Looks like the small black and red ones which I understand are problematic were left alone. Any input would help     Well can’t post pics over 200mb. Will need to resubmit 

• 3 months later...

The Fives are really nice speakers. I'm curious what kind of modification was done to that one. The 6 screws--3 above the mids & 3 below--are not original.

Woofer surrounds should be sealed with RoyC's goo. Makes a big difference.

Kent

Should I be worried? From the placement of the screws, it looks as if something "structural" may have occurred. From the state of the cabinets, looking shinny, I think they've been cared for. Hopefully nothing drastic lurks within. I'm collecting them sunday without auditioning them. For €50, it's worth a shot.

I think Roy has stopped making his goo and can't find anything on ebay. Hopefully won't need it. First caps, then cabinets.....then investigate further thz woofers, if I feel they need it.

Don't worry about the goo. "Vintage-AR" sells it on ebay but he's on vacation.

You might ask the seller about the screws. Did he add bracing? Did the sub-enclosures for the mids become loose and that was the fix? Probably not a big deal--sorry to panic you.

Sadly the seller is deceased. His Daughter is selling everything off. Judging by the other stuff, he was "one of us".

Just found Vintage AR - have sent him a message, although there are no items in his shop?

I assume he's in the US. I'm in Belgium, so probably price prohibitive to send?

cheers

17 hours ago, JKent said:

"Vintage-AR" sells it on ebay but he's on vacation.

He won't be back until March 18 and I don't think he ships overseas. You might send CSP member RoyC a message. He makes the stuff for Vintage AR and might be willing to send you some but there is the cost of postage. If he can send it i"First Class Package International" it should be about $15 USD but if it has to go Priority Mail it would be more like $40 USD.

Or just wait until you have the speakers and use the 3-finger test to test for air leaks. If there are no leaks through the surrounds you should be OK.

Kent

Sorry. Sometimes we talk in code. An acoustic suspension speaker must be air-tight. To test this, put 3 fingers around the perimeter of the dust cap and push the cone in. It should return slowly (maybe 2 seconds). If it springs right back there is a leak. Biggest culprits are the gaskets behind the drivers and the cloth surround. KLH recommended re-doping all woofer surrounds: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/other/klh_schematicsservice/klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

On 2/20/2020 at 3:11 PM, b_sdaddy said:

Should I be worried? From the placement of the screws, it looks as if something "structural" may have occurred. From the state of the cabinets, looking shinny, I think they've been cared for. Hopefully nothing drastic lurks within. I'm collecting them sunday without auditioning them. For €50, it's worth a shot.

I think Roy has stopped making his goo and can't find anything on ebay. Hopefully won't need it. First caps, then cabinets.....then investigate further thz woofers, if I feel they need it.

Not sure if this is proper, but I used Aleene’s Tacky glue, 1 part glue/4 parts water, to redope my surrounds. This was suggested on a different post. Where, I am not sure. Memory failure again.

Well after a few hours in the car, I'm back from, (what I think to be), a successful trip?

The photos the seller posted, did not do the condition of these beauties justice - They're mint! Absolutely stunning cabinets which I'll just wipe over with some furniture polish. The grilles equally so, but I'll have a go anyway, just to get them 'like new'.

The 6 screws are part of an internal box that has been fabricated. (from the same mtl. as the board). It looks 'factory' but may very well be DIY, but by someone who knows his stuff.

Q: Was the box, shrouding the two mids, a std. feature? Perhaps he's just added the screws to reinforce the box?

Anyway, hooked them up, and quite obviously, they need a recap. Lovely bass though!

Sadly, not too much work here for me, but the Leak Sandwiches are keeping me occupied.

KLH1.JPG

KLH2.JPG

KLH_inside.JPG

KLH crossover.JPG

4 hours ago, b_sdaddy said:

Q: Was the box, shrouding the two mids, a std. feature? Perhaps he's just added the screws to reinforce the box?

Yes. Maybe they came loose and were reattached.

Those look beautiful! Great find!

5 hours ago, NewBill said:

I used Aleene’s Tacky glue, 1 part glue/4 parts water, to redope my surrounds. This was suggested on a different post.

"Danger Will Robinson!" 

Only use Roy's goo. If you can't get it, use nothing. All the other stuff that has been tried eventually hardens to some degree. The result is ruined woofers (sorry NewBill).

Kent

So then, my first initial thoughts. Well, they're OK, but nothing special.......

Oh how wrong I was. After a few 'pop' vinyls, I was seriously unimpressed. I decided to change two things; the genre and the volume.

This time CDs, and classical: Piano & cellos with volume!!

WOW! I've listened to these pieces dozens of times, and now I hear parts of the orchestra that were previously not there. Rounded, warm, nothing missing except a bit of sparkle at the top end - going to recap as a matter of course, so will address this.

But it's the slight increase in volume that beings them alive. Seriously impressed.

My Realistic T200 Optimus's are crude by comparison & are headed for a new home. Yes, they're capable and detailed, but they're so harsh by comparison.

It's the difference between instant coffee & a quality espresso. Just can't wait to get them recapped and experience them 'as new'

Currently my favourite speaker, but with parts in the post for my Leak Sandwich's & I'm also off to collect a pair of Wharfedale Dovedale 3's at the weekend, this may be short-lived!

Great! I really like those speakers but I sold mine a few years ago. It was either those or the AR-3a's and the ARs go a bit deeper so they were the keepers.

Sorry for repeating myself but on mine the cloth surrounds were dry and porous so the speakers sounded good but not great. Roy's butyl rubber sealant brought them alive!