Allison IC-20'S (in original boxes for 20 years!)

newandold

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, newandold said:

…… An interesting item indeed to pop up on eBay……… Useless to anyone, except someone who is in possession of a pair of Allisons with image control modules installed… Which is just about nobody these days lol

….. it has not sold of course.

It’s been pretty sad over the last decade or so, watching what’s left of used Allison whatever diminishing to slim Pickens. Things that used to sell within a few weeks or so, now sitting on places like eBay for years. of course, that has everything to do with the seller being either serious or a dreamer.

2 minutes ago, newandold said:

….. it has not sold of course.

It’s been pretty sad over the last decade or so, watching what’s left of used Allison whatever diminishing to slim Pickens. Things that used to sell within a few weeks or so, now sitting on places like eBay for years. of course, that has everything to do with the seller being either serious or a dreamer.

Don't see A3's come up at all. And if I ever have the opportunity to buy a pair of IC-20's, I will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, samberger0357 said:

Don't see A3's come up at all. And if I ever have the opportunity to buy a pair of IC-20's, I will.

Three pair of 20s came up on eBay during the time  When I became a serious buyer and the third pair were the ones I happily ended up with.

Later on there was a fourth from Huntington Long Island. Just watched for curiosity, but they were very painful to look at indeed, with a creative owner in hand who decided he would notch out the woofer accommodations to hold 12 inch rather than 10 inch drivers. What a disaster. For such a rare speaker to fall into the hands of Frankenstein. They were literally gutted out in the most frightening manner…… To each his own

3 minutes ago, newandold said:

Three pair of 20s came up on eBay during the time  When I became a serious buyer and the third pair were the ones I happily ended up with.

Later on there was a fourth from Huntington Long Island. Just watched for curiosity, but they were very painful to look at indeed, with a creative owner in hand who decided he would notch out the woofer accommodations to hold 12 inch rather than 10 inch drivers. What a disaster. For such a rare speaker to fall into the hands of Frankenstein. They were literally gutted out in the most frightening manner…… To each his own

What?? I have an Ebay notification for those, and never saw one pair for sale. Bizarre. I also look occasionally, and it's always the same Two's(have been there forever), some 7's, 4's, but no One's, and never IC-20's.

Something from across the country probably wouldn't be realistic anyway but man, if you ever know or see a pair come up, please feel free to send a message to me.

1 hour ago, samberger0357 said:

What?? I have an Ebay notification for those, and never saw one pair for sale. Bizarre. I also look occasionally, and it's always the same Two's(have been there forever), some 7's, 4's, but no One's, and never IC-20's.

Something from across the country probably wouldn't be realistic anyway but man, if you ever know or see a pair come up, please feel free to send a message to me.

Here’s the timeline that may explain why you missed the listings(a very long time ago now indeed)

I picked mine up, not far from where they were built around this time in 2012.

The prior listings were in and around at four year time period before that.

that last pair, the debauchery from Huntington came after my purchase. Too painful to look at for very long.

I see I misunderstood your post. Whew! Thought I'd missed my opportunity.

Whoever owns these at this point seemingly are holding on to them. I never see anything online from current owners except you, but then again i hardly ever see anything current written about Allison speakers other then once in a while on the Google mail group. Even then it's very rare.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:20 PM, samberger0357 said:

I see I misunderstood your post. Whew! Thought I'd missed my opportunity.

Whoever owns these at this point seemingly are holding on to them. I never see anything online from current owners except you, but then again i hardly ever see anything current written about Allison speakers other then once in a while on the Google mail group. Even then it's very rare.

Indeed, and it is sad to see Allison acoustics go away with barely a trace now. Original company is gone for decades.

All of the hype developed over the years with respect to the IC 20 came about with one production run of 100 cabinets ordered by Roy Allison back in the day. Never did it go beyond that.

The only thing that was more rare…..a handful of prototypes like the IC 10 and a few overseas production units of other designs that were never available in the USA. I found one of those available in the Ukraine that was listed on eBay under my worldwide search. I thought the guy was pulling my leg until I took a good look at it and it did appear to be legit components like the AL 115 in a different configuration. 

Edited by newandold
Typo

3 hours ago, newandold said:

Indeed, and it is sad to see Allison acoustics go away with barely a trace now. Original company is gone for decades.

All of the hype developed over the years with respect to the IC 20 came about with one production run of 100 cabinets ordered by Roy Allison back in the day. Never did it go beyond that.

The only thing that was more rare…..a handful of prototypes like the IC 10 and a few overseas production units of other designs that were never available in the USA. I found one of those available in the Ukraine that was listed on eBay under my worldwide search. I thought the guy was pulling my leg until I took a good look at it and it did appear to be legit components like the AL 115 in a different configuration. 

It happens to the best of them. My hope is that whatever is out there in the wilds is dealt with properly when the time comes, rather then on a curb waiting for bulky garbage pickup.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, samberger0357 said:

It happens to the best of them. My hope is that whatever is out there in the wilds is dealt with properly when the time comes, rather then on a curb waiting for bulky garbage pickup.

When my time came to part with the Allison:One it started out beautifully and they sold quick rather than going to trash.

The buyer, on the other hand turned out to be trash……an idiot who neither fully read my advertisement on EBay or studied the dozen clearly posted photos. I got my price but a war followed that had me appealing to EBay to block the seller from attacking me through the eBay message system. I won out but it was no picnic.

• 1 month later...

Nothing unusual for Allison acoustics……

and really True for any high-quality time, honored loudspeaker system, where the latest in electronics amplifiers playback systems and preamps fall out of favor, the speakers just keep getting better if well cared for.

here in 2023 I’m enjoying the latest benefits that are coming from my Panasonic 820 ultra HD Blu-ray player couple with loud speakers from 1987 lol a match made in heaven!

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2015 at 12:36 PM, tysontom said:

Bill, I'm with you on this site. It is stable, reliable and organized. Hope others from Yahoo join in as well.

—Tom Tyson

Hope you’re well, Tom!

Just looking back at some of these old posts….. It was interesting, (but not surprising) to find what little is left of Allison information these days, appears to be primarily on Facebook. Not a Facebook member, But just viewing on the Internet without logging in to that site Yeilds more pictures than any place else.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2024 at 11:37 AM, newandold said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115882899324

what a surprise a five dollar remote selling for $200 and it hasn’t gone yet imagine that

What’s even funnier about this is the description attached to the link…..The IC 20 remote control for the modules is useless to anyone except the owners of those speakers that contain the modules so you have to bear that in mind when you read the description.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, samberger0357 said:

There’s a pair on eBay today if you’re interested…… Looks like they’re located in Scottsdale Arizona

5 hours ago, newandold said:

There’s a pair on eBay today if you’re interested…… Looks like they’re located in Scottsdale Arizona

Unfortunately I live in Northern California, and a roadtrip to AZ for speakers is not on my to do list. And considering that I just acquired a holy grail audio piece (Garrard 301) my wallet thanks me for my restraint.

But I'll keep looking.

23 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Unfortunately I live in Northern California, and a roadtrip to AZ for speakers is not on my to do list. And considering that I just acquired a holy grail audio piece (Garrard 301) my wallet thanks me for my restraint.

But I'll keep looking.

Understood I totally get this… It could be that this pair indeed is not worth pursuing. They certainly need some work and refinishing that being said the location… You said, unfortunately, you live in Northern California, some of us who were hot to a pair of those would be in amazement that they were within a 12 hour journey.

I only had to go a little over four hours to grab mine 

I think it’s been around a decade now, since another pair of these speakers has appeared for sale. Another interesting coincidence is that there is yet another eBayer selling an image control remote and has no connection to the pair of speakers being offered up. These two guys should hook up Lol 

I don’t live too far from Scottsdale and am an Allison fan. I currently have Model Ones, Twos and 2 pair Model Fours. I never gave the IC-20 much thought as I didn’t think there were many near me. I’ve spoken with the seller and he says he has owned for a few years and we’re in current condition when he purchased. He is oblivious to the image controls, so I’m guessing they don’t work. I’m interested but we’ll see.

33 minutes ago, Johng99 said:

I don’t live too far from Scottsdale and am an Allison fan. I currently have Model Ones, Twos and 2 pair Model Fours. I never gave the IC-20 much thought as I didn’t think there were many near me. I’ve spoken with the seller and he says he has owned for a few years and we’re in current condition when he purchased. He is oblivious to the image controls, so I’m guessing they don’t work. I’m interested but we’ll see.

Hi John,

if you were to decide that you’re interested in pursuing this, I’d be more than happy to arm you with all the information you would need to make an informed purchase. I have been through those IC 20s inside out from top to bottom. If you have any questions they’ll all be answered before we get done.

Best regards, Bill.