DynacoA25 trying to perfect perfection

craig

Well I originally went to get dynacoA5s repaired took one speaker in the one that didn't work he repaired it but remounted the woofer with new screws so I bought in the other one so they would match, He ended up talking me into redoing the capacitor and the wiring. I'm kinda regretting this to spite the fact I hear more range in the highs and the highs are cleaner. the speakers don't seem to output as much bass even though they handle the contour button on the pre amp better, a button I didn't use before. They used to just ask for more power and sounded great loud now they just sound too loud when loud. He doubled the negative on the woofer and changed the wiring from the tweeters to a silver very thin gauge wire. the orginal cap testing out at about 5.5uf was replaced with a clarity cap 5uf. I'm afraid to open them up or should I be ? I have another pair but they have no cap in them at all everything else is original on them. I'm stumped and Im not a tech I'm afraid to try anything with either pair yet I'm rather unhappy with the sound result of the rehab, I Keep thinking the doubling of the negative on the woofer , how would I find that part and return that part to normal? What gauge and type of wire would you use on the tweeters if you were going to replace them ? Anyone in Chicago I can correspond with ? It's kind of a lonely hobby

post-112075-0-45093700-1387674132_thumb.

Hi Craig,

What do you mean by "doubling the negative" on the woofer?

If all he did was replace the crossover wire and replace the original 5uf electrolytic cap with the film cap, you may be hearing the effects of less resistance in the circuit. Adding a small resistor (.5 to 1 ohm) in line with the tweeter may bring the sound closer to what you recall. I use 18 ga tinned wire for all crossover work in classic speakers, which is much the same as the original wire.

http://www.parts-express.com/nte-stranded-18-awg-hook-up-wire-black-25-ft--101-800

Have you experimented with the tweeter level control switch?

Roy

ditto on What do you mean by "doubling the negative" on the woofer?

That wire Roy linked to is good stuff. I use a similar tinned "marine grade" 18ga wire in colors to match the original wiring, purchased at my local electronics parts store.

But I'm curious about your other pair. No cap? At all? That's certainly not original and sounds like somebody made a mistake. There's been discussion here about various (cheap) speaker crossovers that had only one cap on the tweeter and nothing to limit the woofer but no cap on the tweeter? A quick search finds that some A-25s had 5uF caps and some had 8uF caps but I think they all had caps.

I'm no expert but it just seems wrong.

btw--apparently there were at least 3 "A-25" models: A-25, A-25 Mk II (a 3-way) and A-25XL

Kent

Archived