Need a favour - back panel printed papers

RobHolt

Does anyone know where I can perhaps download a copy of the instruction and spec sheet as glued to back of AR loudspeakers?

I'm particularly after the 4xa version.

....or if someone could take a high resolution photo of theirs I could reprint it :)

Mine were badly scuffed and torn and not salvageable.

Cheers!

Hi Robert,

That's great - very much appreciated!

The ones attached to my pair were badly damaged and while I managed to remove the remnants you can see the unsightly glue staining beneath.

I can photoshop this one to up the contrast and sharpness, plus remove the pen annotations.

Thanks again :)

Rob

Certainly, I don't mind. It's already been through some resurrective 'shopping (see original below). Due to the relative density of the base-tone/paper-colour, and uneven lighting, it's problematic, far from perfect as a candidate for reprint. Also, the uploading feature of this site downsizes JPEGs, hence the prior use of an attached PDF, allowing for higher resolution.

Before & After Retouch_01 (low resolution):

post-101656-0-94007500-1381502044_thumb. post-101656-0-73338200-1381690657_thumb.

Robert_S

Hey, I looked at your restoration pics and the speakers look terrific. I see that you've replaced capacitors, resistors, and wiring terminals, but I am not familiar with these tweeter controls you used - - - or at least, I have not seen these in the U.S. Can you tell us about these?

Hey, I looked at your restoration pics and the speakers look terrific. I see that you've replaced capacitors, resistors, and wiring terminals, but I am not familiar with these tweeter controls you used - - - or at least, I have not seen these in the U.S. Can you tell us about these?

Hi, yes they are coming along nicely now :)

Once complete - the grille cloth and badges should arrive this week and that's the final stage - I'll condense the whole thread currently on our forum into one article and post it here. My Howard Feed n Wax arrived within a week to the UK from the US and it's fabulous stuff.

The switch was bought from a longstanding uk DIY supplier by the name of Falcon Acoustics. Really nicely made switches and dead cheap. With conversion they'll be under $5 and I doubt shipping with be expensive.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/resistors-ceramic-wire-wound-metal-oxide-loudspeaker-crossover-network/wire-wound-pots-switches.html

They deliver next day here in the UK so nice speedy service.

PS: I tried your household bleach idea on the current speaker cloth and it worked extremely well on the colour. Sadly my covers have a few nicks and snags so I decided to try some new cloth. It's called yellow Irish linen, open weave. If 'yellow' is more oatmeal we're in business, if not into the bleach it goes :)

Due to some avid responses here on CSP, you seem to have solved the initial issue of reproducing the printed labels, but this remains a very interesting and informative thread. Somehow, I stumbled onto your simultaneous UK thread, which is just a bit more current, and I want to be sure you keep all of us on this side of the Atlantic up-to-date with your final thoughts and assembly on these 4ax's (or are they 18's?).

The hybrid speakers look terrific, and you seem to have backed it all up with some common sense as well as significant audio testing. I like this switch that you employed, but I'm still a little confused about the final crossover circuit. Your internal wire colors are not consistent with what I am used to, and I cannot see exactly how the added resistors are wired at the switch. Am I correct to assume that your pic with the switch shows the entire crossover, and that there is no coil used?

Attached are photo and a schematic for an AR-4xa.

http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?p=296861

post-112624-0-83378600-1382144005_thumb. post-112624-0-97830600-1382144039_thumb.

Hi and thanks for the comments.

The Audiosmile forum is connected to the Audiosmile company, and since that's a commercial venture with which I'm connected I'm always hesitant about linking to it on enthusiast based, non commercial forums. Too much abuse of enthusiast/diy forums by traders IMO so I try to avoid it.

Various grille cloth samples arrived today so I'll be sorting the grilles tonight and fitting the new badges (from AR Man) - I've a free day tomorrow so will prep a detailed thread on the whole project and post it here tomorrow.

Essentially I'm running 1979 ADD period AR18 drivers in a 4xa cabinet. Looking at the cabinet volume, I effectively have an AR17, which if I understand correctly from brochures used the same drivers as the 18 in a 19ltr box - same as the AR4 cabinet. It works amazingly well with superb bass, so it's a great solution for anyone with pairs of the later universal type drivers looking for better bass, or those where hte original 4xa drivers are simply too far gone to restore to good enough standard.

Something I have noticed is that the Solen film cap has sufficiently lower ESR over the aged original PVC cased electrolytic that my three way switch allows a slight boost setting in addition to both flat and cut.

On the crossover, since these are a matching AR18 pair of drivers they are running with just the intended 6uf cap on the tweeter, nothing on the bass/mid.

The switch is three position single pole and imply inserts a 2R2 or 3R3 resistor (or bypass) in series with the tweeter to give approx +1.5db, flat and -3db on the tweeter.

While it isn't a full LPAD, the crossover is sufficiently benign that the crossover point remain essentially unchanged with setting.

Really nice and simple, and it works well.

Check back in a few hours and a thread documenting everything will be here :)

Somehow, I stumbled onto your simultaneous UK thread, which is just a bit more current, and I want to be sure you keep all of us on this side of the Atlantic up-to-date with your final thoughts and assembly on these 4ax's

Thanks ra. Always good to know about another forum. Did a search and found it.

Of course there is a language difference (quid? mains?) but we'll manage :D

Kent

Archived