What glue to use ?

djcheung

Dear all,

I have recently acquired a pair of AR93.

All 6 woofers need refoaming.

On the original woofers, there is a thin bead of glue on the inner roll edge of the foam surround.

The glue is still flexible after all those years.

The questions are :

1. What is the function of this thin bead of glue

2. What glue should I use to replace them

3. Where can I get the glue.

I hope the experts here can point me to the right direction.

Best regards,

David.

Hi David

If I understand your question correctly, the glue is there to make a smooth transition from the edge of the surround to the cone, so the sound waves won't hit a little ridge at the point of connection. You can get surrounds and the correct "WD" (white damper) glue, or even complete re-foam kits, from MSound. MSound is in transition now and his web site is not up and running but you can email him (John) at msound@shentel.net

Kent

Hi Kent,

Sorry for the late reply.

The website seems to have been down for the past few days.

I have already refoamed the drivers but curious about the purpose of the extra thin bead of glue on the inner edge of the roll.

So it is used to smooth out the sound waves.

With my untrained ears I don't think I will be able to tell the difference between with/without this extra bit of glue.

I will investigate.

I am located in the UK so will try to find alternatives.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

David.

This drawing for part 200036 (AR-93 lower mid-range, flat dust cap) shows a topical "treatment" in this area, and this pic of an 8" universal replacement woofer (from an AR-7) shows a thin clear bead in roughly the same area, but it does not cover the 'little ridge' that Kent refers to where the surround sits on the cone. I, too, have been curious about this so-called "treatment". Is this what you are referring to?

post-112624-0-90086200-1381421796_thumb. post-112624-0-63221500-1381421839_thumb.

Hi Kent,

I have already refoamed the drivers but curious about the purpose of the extra thin bead of glue on the inner edge of the roll.

So it is used to smooth out the sound waves.

With my untrained ears I don't think I will be able to tell the difference between with/without this extra bit of glue.

Best regards,

David.

David,

The glue was a rubber based adhesive, and it most likely served a purpose relative to damping properties of the surround/cone combination. It is unlikely you could ever duplicate it. The process of removing the old foam and glue, the properties of the new foam, and the use of new glue will have conspired to change things sufficiently to make additional glue a crapshoot. I'm certain the sonic difference at this stage of the game is insignificant.

The Boston filled fillet type of surround, which I especially like to use for AR 10 inch woofers, serves a similar purpose by providing extra foam in the crease. The Boston 8 inch version does not fit as well, but will also work for AR woofers.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your valuable information.

I have one more question about the AR93 and wonder if you can help.

When I took the woofers out, I have noticed that the wadding inside seems excessive - stuffed top to bottom densey.

Does anybody here know exactly/roughly how much ( in weight ) of wadding should be in the cabinet ?

The bass response seems weak but that may be due to the new surrounds.

They do sound lovely.

They sound very similar to my AR9's with less low ends.

I love both of them.

Best regards,

David.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your valuable information.

I have one more question about the AR93 and wonder if you can help.

When I took the woofers out, I have noticed that the wadding inside seems excessive - stuffed top to bottom densey.

Does anybody here know exactly/roughly how much ( in weight ) of wadding should be in the cabinet ?

The bass response seems weak but that may be due to the new surrounds.

They do sound lovely.

They sound very similar to my AR9's with less low ends.

I love both of them.

Best regards,

David.

I don't know the amount of material used in the 93, but these cabinets are full of poly material. It is unlikely anyone added more along the way, and the original amount is part of the design. If there really is a problem with bass response it is more likely to be woofers reconnected out of phase with each other, or the use of replacement surrounds with insufficient compliance.

Since you own AR-9's, it may simply be a matter of hearing the difference between the two models.

Roy

Hi Roy,

It looks like there are two different materials in it so the previous owner(s) must have added some to it.

I think it may also be the new surrounds need running in a bit.

I will double check to make sure that they are not connected out of phase.

I don't think I can compare the two as the 9's are a bit of a beast.

I will give the new surrounds another few weeks and see.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Best regards,

David.

Thanks very much Robert_S,

Now I need to dig them all out and find a scale to weigh them.

They look like a couple of blankets of polyester stuffed inside.

A silly question.

When you say finely shredded polyester, does it mean the fibre is finely shredded or the blanket of polyester needs to be broken up into pieces in order to place them evenly inside the cabinet?

Best regards,

David.

You're welcome David.

When you say finely shredded polyester, does it mean the fibre is finely shredded or the blanket of polyester needs to be broken up into pieces in order to place them evenly inside the cabinet?

I'm quoting "finely shredded" directly from the Assembly Notes:

post-101656-0-01079600-1381769587_thumb.

For a while I had some AR-925 (similar form factor to the AR-93), the wadding in them was the same as in my AR-915s, AR-90 and AR-18s: white polyester in soft-centered blanket form, sometimes cut into a few pieces, to more easliy enable the specified distribution I'd guess. The finely-shredded probably refers to the composition of the material.

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

Hi all,

Managed to dig out all of the wadding last night and weighed them.

One had 4 oz over and the other 4 oz down.

So I put the extra 4oz from one speaker to the other and now they have same amount of wadding in.

After putting the drivers back in, I have notices that I have a slight air leak on one of of the cabinet.

(Pushing one driver and observe how the other reacts).

I think I need to replace the original gasket with new gasket strips ( self adhesive on one side).

Should I stick the new gasket on the cabinet or on the driver basket?

Best regards,

David.

Archived