Woofers not performing as usual

quebecois59

Francois,

That Sansui TA (Tuner Amp) 300 is a beautiful receiver but it's over 30 years old. Have you had it professionally serviced?

btw, here's the 1980 brochure: http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Sansui%201980%20Hi%20Fi%20Guide.pdf

The TA-300 has a power output of "a respectable 30 watts per channel" which may be a bit under-powered for the AR-2ax but those were "big" watts and in a small room, not cranked up to 11 it should be fine IF functioning properly.

Kent

Francois,

That Sansui TA (Tuner Amp) 300 is a beautiful receiver but it's over 30 years old. Have you had it professionally serviced?

btw, here's the 1980 brochure: http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Sansui%201980%20Hi%20Fi%20Guide.pdf

The TA-300 has a power output of "a respectable 30 watts per channel" which may be a bit under-powered for the AR-2ax but those were "big" watts and in a small room, not cranked up to 11 it should be fine IF functioning properly.

Kent

Hey Kent

Thank you for the brochure. I don't know much about that amp, my brother bought it at least 25 years ago, he just bought a new one last year because he needed more channels for his TV and "personnal movie center". The Sansui was left alone on a shelf in his basement, then he gave it to me when I asked him. I doubt it has ever been serviced. I didn't even know amps need it...what coud be the issue with this amp that could have caused my woofers to fail?

I'm no expert, but here goes: That Sansui is very nice and if you google it you'll find it's been nominated (among many others) as the nicest looking receiver (on AK). Nevertheless, it's a 1980 model and things go bad: Capacitors, transistors, other electronics. Those 70s era Japanese amps were very solid, with big transformers but that means heat. Heat is bad. Also--modern receivers have built-in fuses to protect speakers but probably not the Sansui.

I've owned a number of old amps and receivers: AR AU; KLH 16, 27, and 52 55; Sherwood 7100; Kenwood 3090 and 5600; Fisher 400; Advent 300; Marantz 4270; Sylvania CR2743 and RQ3748 and my current MAC4100. EVERY one of those old amps and receivers required service and many needed parts.

Vintage amps are great. They go with our vintage speakers, they look cool, the 70s receivers are legendary for having gobs of power. But they are OLD (not as old as me but still old). I recommend looking around for a good technician who is familiar with vintage gear and have it checked out.

Just my 2 cents.

Kent

I'm no expert, but here goes: That Sansui is very nice and if you google it you'll find it's been nominated (among many others) as the nicest looking receiver (on AK). Nevertheless, it's a 1980 model and things go bad: Capacitors, transistors, other electronics. Those 70s era Japanese amps were very solid, with big transformers but that means heat. Heat is bad. Also--modern receivers have built-in fuses to protect speakers but probably not the Sansui.

I've owned a number of old amps and receivers: AR AU; KLH 16, 27, and 52 55; Sherwood 7100; Kenwood 3090 and 5600; Fisher 400; Advent 300; Marantz 4270; Sylvania CR2743 and RQ3748 and my current MAC4100. EVERY one of those old amps and receivers required service and many needed parts.

Vintage amps are great. They go with our vintage speakers, they look cool, the 70s receivers are legendary for having gobs of power. But they are OLD (not as old as me but still old). I recommend looking around for a good technician who is familiar with vintage gear and have it checked out.

Just my 2 cents.

Kent

Kent, thank you for that detailed answer. I understand what you mean. I just had my double tape deck serviced by someone who might be reliable to do the same with my amp. I will know ass soon as the tape deck is back.

For the woofers, could I put any good quality 10 inch, 8 ohm speakers in these boxes? Would it be costly to have the original woofers fixed?

For the woofers, could I put any good quality 10 inch, 8 ohm speakers in these boxes? Would it be costly to have the original woofers fixed?

The short answer is no, not if you want them to remain AR-2ax's. Check out Vintage AR's listings in Ebay. He has nice AR 10 inchers currently listed, some of which I re-foamed and tested for him.

Harry...Did John send you "re-cone" or "re-foam" kits? I spoke to him a few weeks ago, and he said he didn't have voice coils and spiders for AR 10 inchers, which would be part of a re-cone kit. Replacing voice coils is not an easy job for the inexperienced.

In the case of the AR 10 inch woofer, there are plenty of used ones available. It usually isn't worth doing more than a simple re-foam.

Roy

The short answer is no, not if you want them to remain AR-2ax's. Check out Vintage AR's listings in Ebay. He has nice AR 10 inchers currently listed, some of which I re-foamed and tested for him.

Harry...Did John send you "re-cone" or "re-foam" kits? I spoke to him a few weeks ago, and he said he didn't have voice coils and spiders for AR 10 inchers, which would be part of a re-cone kit. Replacing voice coils is not an easy job for the inexperienced.

In the case of the AR 10 inch woofer, there are plenty of used ones available. It usually isn't worth doing more than a simple re-foam.

Roy

Thanks Roy

I guess Vintage AR refers to an Ebay store or something similar, I just checked on Ebay but couldn't find anything like AR 10 inch woofers, do you have a link?

Harry...Did John send you "re-cone" or "re-foam" kits? I spoke to him a few weeks ago, and he said he didn't have voice coils and spiders for AR 10 inchers, which would be part of a re-cone kit. Replacing voice coils is not an easy job for the inexperied

Roy,

Yes they were recone kits, They came with the cone, voice coil and spiders. He had to special order them from his supplier. I sent him all the measurements for the voice coils and what not and he had them made up.

Now I remember one thing weird about that amp: the balance button isn't a separate control. I didn't bother at first and I even thought there was no balance control at all on that old amp, and that the speakers are always evenly balanced. Actually, to balance speakers Left and Right, there is an "inside" button and an "outside" button on the same volume control.

But I didn't realized it at first and I decided to plug the Left speaker in channel A and the Right speaker in channel B, si I could listen to them separately whenever I want to compare the completely restored speaker and the partly restored one, just by switching to A, or B or A+B channel (both speakers).

Could this have caused my problem?

Roy,

Yes they were recone kits, They came with the cone, voice coil and spiders. He had to special order them from his supplier. I sent him all the measurements for the voice coils and what not and he had them made up.

Thanks, Harry...John McPeak is a good man to deal with!

Roy

Archived