Woofers not performing as usual

quebecois59

Hey there!

My restored 2ax speakers had performed well for a few months. I was pretty happy with the way they performed until last week.

First, the right side (in my office room) started acting up: the woofer started going off and on, and one day it seemed to definitely quit, but if I put my hand directly on it, I can feel the woofer weak vibrations. Then the left one did exactly the same two days later! Tweeters and mids are still doing OK.

Do you have any ideas what can cause this? I changed both surrounds at the same time and according to my observations, the glue is still holding good.

I replaced the caps and the pots inside one speaker but left the original components in the other one, but both experimented the same bass loss.

I obviously had to do some new soldering of my own on both woofers, but I doubt they would have gone south in two months.

I am a little bit puzzled and would appreciate advices before I opened them. You guys were very helpful during the restoration process.

Thanks in advance

Francois

Hey there!

My restored 2ax speakers had performed well for a few months. I was pretty happy with the way they performed until last week.

First, the right side (in my office room) started acting up: the woofer started going off and on, and one day it seemed to definitely quit, but if I put my hand directly on it, I can feel the woofer weak vibrations. Then the left one did exactly the same two days later! Tweeters and mids are still doing OK.

Do you have any ideas what can cause this? I changed both surrounds at the same time and according to my observations, the glue is still holding good.

I replaced the caps and the pots inside one speaker but left the original components in the other one, but both experimented the same bass loss.

I obviously had to do some new soldering of my own on both woofers, but I doubt they would have gone south in two months.

I am a little bit puzzled and would appreciate advices before I opened them. You guys were very helpful during the restoration process.

Thanks in advance

Francois

Assuming your amp is working properly, pull the woofers and test them directly.

Roy

Hey Roy

I forgot to mention that I tested the speakers with my other amp in the living room with the same result.

What do you mean by "test them directly"?

FP

Remove the woofers from the cabinets and touch your amp's speaker wires directly to their terminals. If they work satisfactorily, you will know the problem is in the cabinet. If they don't, it is the woofers. If that turns out to be the case, it wouldn't have anything to do with the new surrounds. Most likely it would be voice coil issues.

Roy

Check the links between terminals on the back. Check your solder connections. A cold solder joint may not show up right away. It sounds odd that this happened to both speakers at about the same time. It almost sounds like the receiver somehow damaged both of them, possibly with DC.

Agreed...

Hi there

Disconnect the speakers from the amp.

Place a d-cell battery across the terminals.

Depending on polarity the woofer only will move in or out.

Because of the caps there will be no highs.

Ok I just did it and both woofers did move in and out at least one quarter of an inch while testing with this method.

What does that mean?

FP

How would I test that?

With a meter. Set the meter on the lowest DC level and check the speaker outputs on the amp with the amp turned on. Hook the neg from the meter to the neg speaker output and the pos from the meter to the pos from the speaker output. If everything is perfect you should have no reading. You can have a very very low reading or even a very low negative reading but they should be equal from one side to the other. Any high readings or differences between sides means DO NOT USE THE AMP. Send it out for repair and you quite possibly shorted the voice coils in your woofers.

With a meter. Set the meter on the lowest DC level and check the speaker outputs on the amp with the amp turned on. Hook the neg from the meter to the neg speaker output and the pos from the meter to the pos from the speaker output. If everything is perfect you should have no reading. You can have a very very low reading or even a very low negative reading but they should be equal from one side to the other. Any high readings or differences between sides means DO NOT USE THE AMP. Send it out for repair and you quite possibly shorted the voice coils in your woofers.

Just tested it the way you said. No DC at all!

What do I do from here?

I just opened one speaker, pulled the woofer out (leads still connected, though), put the amp on, played a CD, and then connect the amp wires directly to the woofer terminals. I had the same poor performance. I can hear music and feel the vibes with my fingers on the cone, but the sound is very weak.

Then I tested the other woofer, with the same result.

What is the diagnosis and then what would be the cure?

I just opened one speaker, pulled the woofer out (leads still connected, though), put the amp on, played a CD, and then connect the amp wires directly to the woofer terminals. I had the same poor performance. I can hear music and feel the vibes with my fingers on the cone, but the sound is very weak.

Then I tested the other woofer, with the same result.

What is the diagnosis and then what would be the cure?

It sounds to me like a voice coil issue, possibly due to rubbing after re-foaming. The voice coil windings gradually wear and weaken, and will eventually stop working.

Another possibility is heat damage to the voice coils caused by the amp, or overdriving.

Unless you know a very good re-builder, you probably need to begin shopping for woofers.

Roy

It sounds to me like a voice coil issue, possibly due to rubbing after re-foaming. The voice coil windings gradually wear and weaken, and will eventually stop working at all. Unless you know a very good re-builder, you need to begin shopping for woofers.

Roy

If you're right, I'm stumped! I carefully followed all of the steps when refoaming, I used the shims provided with the kit. I can't see what I could have done wrong...

If you're right, I'm stumped! I carefully followed all of the steps when refoaming, I used the shims provided with the kit. I can't see what I could have done wrong...

You posted while I was editing. :-)

It can also be caused by excessive heat due to an amp issue or overdriving. The result is the same. You will need new voice coils if it is the type of damage I suspect it is.

Roy

Did you bother to check the resistance between a terminal ans speaker frame? GENTLY move the cone while measuring this and listen for anything resembling a rubbing noise while moving the cone.

Forgot it...just did it: result is open circuit on both speakers, no rubbing noise, cones move freely.

According to that test, coils are not rubbing at all.

What's next step now?

That test is not a reliable indicator of a rubbing voice coil. You are still looking at new voice coils or woofers if your impressions of the severely reduced output are correct.

Well, I'd like to replace the voice coils or the woofers whatever is the best solution but I wouldn't like them to fail again within two months. Is there any chance my amp is the source of the problem? This is a Sansui TA-300 (110 watts per channel). It is written speaker impedance: 8 ohms and more on the back.

I haven't played the music very loud because my room is small, never more than 4 on a 10 scale,

My brother has used it for 25 years and he's never bursted a speaker.

Archived