My new AR3s!

fast_eddie_72

I purchased a tweeter that was supposed to be from an AR2Ax that looks just like the ones in these 3s. Nice heavy paper weight since it is not the same as the ones from the 2Ax.

The red/orange dome tweeter of the earlier 2ax was in fact also used in the AR-3, and 2a. You have the later 2ax, which was equipped with the smaller black dome tweeter. Your "paper weight" will fetch more than the tweeter you need. Sell it, and you will have more than enough cash for a couple of proper replacement tweeters.

Roy

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Ed , I bought an excellent pair of AR3 in 2008 , and after recapping it, I consider it as the best loudspeaker I've ever heard. I prefer AR 3 to the 3a, that I still have. The 3's more linear, fast and shows deeper bass. Incomparable silkyness in the mid-highs. A real musical instrument of unsurpassed musicality. Born in tube age amplifiers, give its best with modern solid state hi-current amps. I drive my AR 3 with a Marantz 7T preamp and a Crown PSA 2 power amplifier , and I'm very satisfied; the one and only fault of this speaker probably is a scene not so wide, but well displayed in depth. Two years ago SteveF came to my home in Rome, Italy, and posted a topic about our AR 3's listening session. My best regards , Adriano, Rome, Italy

Adriano,

I'm looking forward to hearing your modified AR-2's and your newly-acquired Marantz 7T/Crown PSA2 combination (neither of which you had when I was there in 2011) when we come later this year to visit our daughter. I was very impressed and pleased with your AR-3's, both with their sound and their appearance.

Surely, you are Italy's No. 1 vintage audiophile!

Steve F.

Thank You Steve, but no, I only have few good pieces of vintage. A friend of mine, Federico, who lives in Verona, Italy, has 457 vintage components, including Marantz model 1 preamp Audio Consolette, model 9 power amps, AR 1 , a lot of McIntosh tube pre and power amps, a JBL Metregon, the rarest things ever. Lucky man. But I still prefer AR 3 over everyone else! Cheers, Adriano

• 5 months later...

Well...

The cleaning people knocked one of the 3s off of the reproduction stands I bought. I'm kinda devastated after all the work I've done. Almost speechless. They made it 50 years, then when trusted to me for their care, this happens.

They are paying for repairs. I found a furniture repair place that has a good reputation. I was somewhat relieved when he called each of the blemishes "minor" and assured me they could fix it. While it's there, I'm having the top refinished to minimize the water damage from the damn plant that was on it. Who knows. May come back better than it was. But I'd still much rather it had never happened. I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach just talking about it.

They're going to have the speaker for two months, so I put the LST2s back into service. It is nice to enjoy these amazing speakers again. They really are wonderful, and I've switched the EQ out of the system again with them. Honestly, all else being equal, the LST2s are probably better speakers. But I love my 3s. I love the bass from the 12" woofer and I love how they look in my living room. Man it hurt when I walked in and saw the damaged speaker. It's difficult to believe that relatively minor damage to a "thing" bothered me so much. Very glad the cleaning company is willing to do what they can, but as I explained to the woman on the phone, that is the original finish on a pair of old speakers that will NEVER be exactly what it was. But it is what it is.

Not many people, I'd guess, can understand how I feel about this. Figured some of you guys will.

Not many people, I'd guess, can understand how I feel about this. Figured some of you guys will.

WOW! Your right. I would be beside myself and ready to kill someone.........yea, I understand..... :angry:

Hope the repairs work out for you to your satisfaction.

Nothing wrong with the LST-2's. I have a set and think they're great speakers.

John

• 2 months later...

My 3 came home today. I have to say, Ackerman's Furniture Restoration did a fantastic job. I'm very happy with the results. And the water damaged top looks new. I sure had a nice evening listening to my babies again. Really glad to have them back!

Moral of the story - always have a back up pair of ARs!

What bonding agent do you all recommend for re-attaching the Masonite spider ring to the speaker basket? I have used epoxy, but it is tricky to get in place before it sets up.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Rich G.

I use a brown, rubber based cement (MEK based). It doesn't set up too fast. Strongly suggest you shim the voice coil when you glue down that shim - assuming most of the shim has separated from the basket.

The glue is available from Orange County speaker supply in 2 oz bottles.

Adding to an old topic, but could not find a better direct reference to AR-3 oil-filled caps.

These are the two caps out of the older of my AR-3s.

Are they the valuable ones, or trash? They do not seem to have the ceramic insulators, but are metal cans, etc.

post-170708-0-40882600-1390490387_thumb.

Archived