4x woofer and inductor choice question

fran604g

Hi folks,

I have some orphaned parts from a couple of beat up 4x's and want to put together one good unit for a center speaker to use in my HT setup.

I have a good cloth surround woofer, and two chokes (1-#4 and 1-#5) from a couple 4x donors, but don't know which coil to use with the woofer. How can I figure out which one belongs to this specific woofer? Does it even matter?

The cone is # 5020, the OA Height is 3-3/8" from back of magnet yoke to back of basket mounting flange. (Don't know if this is pertinent)

This is the woofer:

post-111058-0-84418900-1348145206_thumb.

post-111058-0-53319300-1348145215_thumb.

Hi folks,

I have some orphaned parts from a couple of beat up 4x's and want to put together one good unit for a center speaker to use in my HT setup.

I have a good cloth surround woofer, and two chokes (1-#4 and 1-#5) from a couple 4x donors, but don't know which coil to use with the woofer. How can I figure out which one belongs to this specific woofer? Does it even matter?

The cone is # 5020, the OA Height is 3-3/8" from back of magnet yoke to back of basket mounting flange. (Don't know if this is pertinent)

This is the woofer:

#5 is probably the best way to go. It was used in all 4x's, regardless of woofer version, after the late 60's.

Roy

I have a good cloth surround woofer,

This is the woofer:

Hi Fran

Not to be a wet blanket but it looks like someone re-doped that surround in a very heavy-handed way. Do you know what's on there? Hope it's OK, but it looks a bit suspect.

Kent

Hi Fran

Not to be a wet blanket but it looks like someone re-doped that surround in a very heavy-handed way. Do you know what's on there? Hope it's OK, but it looks a bit suspect.

Kent

I don't know, it looked like at some point someone put some black liquid stuff on it, but it was dry to the touch and the surround was still pretty pliable when it came out of the unit (2 years ago?)

I put some of Roy's sealant on it, but I followed the old "lines" of the black stuff that was already on it, I probably should have tried to be neater. I wasn't paying attention and I was much more careful with the others. The new sealant kind of dissolved what was on there.

It's still nice and pliable like the ones in my other 2 units, but now that you mention it, it doesn't look as nice, for sure.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it kind of looked like some one had "painted" the frame...

Archived