ADVENT 4 BOOMERS?

de fougieres

hello ,I am a new forumer coming from France, good sound and music lover since a long time ,so I am " vintage " too now !! but in better conditions than the ADVENT 4 loudspeakers i bought last week

as I discovered it when I came back home : the sound is bad and muffled ,i realize that the tweeters were not functionning !!

and checking the boomers more accurately , I think they have been changed

so my question is : with my pictures could you tell me if they are originals or not ?

and someone has a picture of the original boomers ,I will appreciate it , to try to find another pair if possible

thank you in advance and apologizes for my mistakes in english

bruno

post-120092-0-87113800-1335710484_thumb.

post-120092-0-83227900-1335710501_thumb.

post-120092-0-74596200-1335710512_thumb.

Welcome to Classic Speaker Pages!

I don't have any original Advent /4 original woofers, but here is a picture I found at another web site.

What you have looks like a Boston Acoustics woofer because of the filleted surrounds. However, those surrounds are available for refoamers and thus the original 4 woofers you have could have been refoamed with those type of surrounds.

I suggest you get the tweeters working. Recap? and then decide if you like the overall sound of the speaker with both woofer and tweeter operating before rushing to replace the woofers you have.

post-100237-0-18127800-1335713663_thumb.

thank you for your welcome and answer

your suggestion of repairing first the tweeters is a good idea

I have checked very carefully the woofers,they have not been refoamed

apparently ,it is very dificult to find pictures from these Advent 4 because another person gave me this picture and I think the woofers on this picture have been refoamed

are they so rare ?

the surrounds look like the one i have bought for a pair of AR2 ax which are in a very bad state (problem of coil I discovered after having bying surrounds )

,at present ,stand by for these AR ,I don t know what to do !! but I do like these loudspeakers

Those aren't Advent 4s in your last photos. They are New Advents which are full sized Advents. If somebody is selling them as Advent 4s, they are mistaken. The woofers look like full sized 10" Advent woofers too.

As to your speakers, I don't know much about the 4s so I can't be of much help. The woofers look close but I suspect they have been replaced too.

Bienvenue!

Doug

thank you for your answer and the "bienvenue "

I have found in this forum, in "advent models " started by don, a post from JKENT giving a link to AUDIO KARMA " identifying your Advent loudspeakers "

but I can't register myself in audiokarma ?? may be I had no referrer to give ??

bruno

a post from JKENT giving a link to AUDIO KARMA " identifying your Advent loudspeakers "

but I can't register myself in audiokarma ?? may be I had no referrer to give ??

bruno

Shouldn't be a problem. You give your date of birth, select a password and user name, answer a question to prevent robo registrants. Easy peasy. Feel free to use JKent as a referrer, but it should not be needed.

Kent

I had same problem with AR2ax , I bought them due to the popularity of AR gear on this site i made the mistake of thinking they would be intact like many pairs dynaco speakers i have bought. unfortunately the AR2ax i bought need re foam on the drivers and the tweeter only works on one side, ( not sure if its crossover). The mids look good. I'v been trying to sell them but nobody seems interested in the work to rehab them.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

thank you JFKENT for your help ,I finally succeeded in registering myself in AUDIOKARMA

now I know for sure that the boomers in my ADVENTS 4 are not the originals but new ones " SAMY SPEAKERS " TW 8401 or 8402 as I discovered it by opening the other loudspeaker and identified them on internet

so ,we learn by our mistakes !! the lesson is "dont buy in a hurry ,take your time to see all the details "

in fact, I was looking for loudspeakers to match with an amplifier SANSUI AU 7700 (2 X 55 WATTS) , I have bought after a pair of KEF chorale ,very good sound

but I think my amplifier need loudspeakers more powerfull so ,now, I have the opportunity to buy CELESTION DITTON 44 ................. I know it is an horrible addiction !!!! (it will be my sixth pair of loudspeakers )

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Advent /4's, serial number 004895 and the woofers have the rubberized cloth surrounds, not the foam. I can't tell if the woofers are original.

I picked them up in a garage sale and they sound decent but the top end isn't transparent. Paper tweeters.

Archived