AR 28B

sdarr

Hi guys. I just was given 4 AR 28B speakers by my boss. They're in need of some tlc, the woofers need to be refoamed and the cabinets are a little rough but, free is free. I started doing some research on these speakers but , haven't found much. I've come across several sites for repair kits and I'm little confused on what to go with. I was wondering if using rubber surrounds would effect the tonal quality of the speaker. I plan on running these from my Pioneer VSX-917. SO, if anyone has any input or experience with these your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for the help.

John

Hi guys. I just was given 4 AR 28B speakers by my boss. They're in need of some tlc, the woofers need to be refoamed and the cabinets are a little rough but, free is free. I started doing some research on these speakers but , haven't found much. I've come across several sites for repair kits and I'm little confused on what to go with. I was wondering if using rubber surrounds would effect the tonal quality of the speaker. I plan on running these from my Pioneer VSX-917. SO, if anyone has any input or experience with these your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for the help.

John

John at Msound will have what you want....the 8" Boston Acoustics style "Filled Fillet" surrounds. while you're at it, replace the capacitors with a decent quality film, like a solen, dayton, or erse pulseX.

here's the brochure

http://classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/post-classic_series_1981-19/post-classic_series_brochur/ar_ls_b_series_brochure/

John at Msound will have what you want....the 8" Boston Acoustics style "Filled Fillet" surrounds. while you're at it, replace the capacitors with a decent quality film, like a solen, dayton, or erse pulseX.

Agree. MSound is the way to go. Here is his website with step-by-step instructions. There is a link there to his ebay store and you can email him with any questions. http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

He's very helpful. If you don't get a reply immediately it's because he recently had a computer meltdown and is trying to get things back together but his products, prices and service are the best.

I think your crossover has a single capacitor but don't know the value offhand. Take a look when you pull the woofer.

Kent

Agree. MSound is the way to go. Here is his website with step-by-step instructions. There is a link there to his ebay store and you can email him with any questions. http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

He's very helpful. If you don't get a reply immediately it's because he recently had a computer meltdown and is trying to get things back together but his products, prices and service are the best.

I think your crossover has a single capacitor but don't know the value offhand. Take a look when you pull the woofer.

Kent

John will also custom tailor a kit to you if you email him..i.e. 4 surrounds, since you have 4 speakers.

my guess is it's the same as a 18B, which I think is 5uf...may want to go to the older AR17/18 value which is 6uf...

Thanx for the input guys.I'll let yet you all know what the crossover set up is when I pull the woofers. Have any of you given these a listen? Right now I'm running a 2.1 set up of BA CR65s and a CR400 sub. I've feally enjoyed these but kind of looking forward to hear how the ARs sound. I know my boss really liked them. Should I stick with foam surrounds or can I go with rubber?

John

nope, no experience with that particular model, I have their smaller, older cousins, the 18 (non-S or B), which use basically the same woofer and tweeter in a smaller enclosure, and I love them.

Should I stick with foam surrounds or can I go with rubber?

What Pat said:

"John at Msound will have what you want....the 8" Boston Acoustics style "Filled Fillet" surrounds."

Those are foam.

Kent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived