AR-6: any good?

davidro

G'day I'm watching an ebay item 260869944233.

Is AR-6 comparable to my AR-3a?

Does this item look like it has original drivers?

Is restoration any more difficult than the one for AR-3a?

They're 8 ohm speakers so I guess I can easily run them with my NAD 3120.

Any advices?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Is AR-6 comparable to my AR-3a?

Does this item look like it has original drivers?

Is restoration any more difficult than the one for AR-3a?

They're 8 ohm speakers so I guess I can easily run them with my NAD 3120.

Any advices?

Hello,

I have both the 3a and the 6. The 3a has a little more detail and deeper bass. However listeners always comment how deep the bass response is on the 6.

The drivers look original, I assume the woofer has been re-foamed but the dimple effect on the paper is right.

I would guess restoration would be much simpler as there is just one cap on the crossover IF I understand correctly.

They are a much kinder load for the amp and would surely work with your NAD

They are GREAT speakers and often overlooked I think. Go for them and good luck!

Mike.

The AR-6 was a remarkably good speaker, but it suffered from a sales/marketing standpoint of occupying a somewhat tenuous position in AR's lineup. Much like the AR-5 being caught between the 2ax and 3a at the higher end of the line, so was the AR-6 caught between the 4x (later 7) and 2ax at the lower end of the line. The 6 never achieved the sales popularity of the 4x, 7, or 2ax.

But this isn't to say that the 6 was anything less than one heckuva speaker. In fact, the critical acclaim showered on the 6 was nothing less than amazing. High Fidelity said, "…the AR-6 responds almost like an amplifier…a really terrific performer. " Julian Hirsch said in Stereo Review that the AR-6 sounded like the 5 to an "amazing degree" with almost "identical" bass response.

Not only was the 6's woofer an outstanding example of engineering, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the then-new 1 ½" cone tweeter (later changed in designation only to 1 ¼") was such an excellent unit that a close competitor of AR wanted to approach them about the possibility of manufacturing it for themselves under license. It's noteworthy that that tweeter, introduced with the AR-6 in 1971, continued in AR's line essentially unchanged (except for the addition of ferrofluid) until the late 1980's in the Bxi series.

I have said that I consider the 2ax to be the best performance/dollar model of the original Classic Series, but I wouldn't argue too much with someone who said it was the AR-6, especially at the original pricing of $72/81 ea. unfinished/finished.

Steve F.

Is AR-6 comparable to my AR-3a? Does this item look like it has original drivers? Is restoration any more difficult than the one for AR-3a? They're 8 ohm speakers so I guess I can easily run them with my NAD 3120. Any advices?

You're hooked, you poor bastard. Join the club! :D

Kent

I have 3a's and 6's. There's a definite "family resemblance" in the sound, but the 6 is definitely not "comparable" to the 3a. The smaller woofer doesn't go as low and the cone/dome combo tweeter doesn't go as high or have as wide a dispersion.

The 6 uses the same drivers as the AR-4xa, with a slightly different crossover and a different cabinet shape that is better suited to being placed in an actual bookcase, but at the cost of a small amount of bass compared to the 4 series.. The eBay listing referenced is the Euro version.

The 6 uses the same drivers as the AR-4xa, with a slightly different crossover and a different cabinet shape that is better suited to being placed in an actual bookcase, but at the cost of a small amount of bass compared to the 4 series..

The original 4 series had a cloth surround woofer with an Fs of 30 Hz, I believe (by memory, haven't checked my old spec sheets). The 6 woofer was hailed upon introduction as a very advanced woofer and had an Fs of 25 Hz, the same as the 10" 2ax/5 woofers. AR's claimed bass response for the 6 was the exact same as the 2ax/5, as confirmed in a letter to me from Roy Allison (see letters to Steve F in the library).

The 4x/7 was said by AR-Roy to have a less-deep bass response, about 8-10 Hz higher (less extension) than the 6/2ax/5.

The 4xa may have used the "same" woofer as the 6 did at the time of the 4xa's intro (1974-ish, but the 6 was intro'd in '70-71), and the internal volumes of those two speakers was probably close enough that there was no appreciable difference in the low-end response.

But the original cloth-surround 4-4x did not go as low as the 6, and never could it be said that the 6 had less bass than any 4 series speaker.

Check Roy's letters to me. His words, not mine. Can't argue.

Steve F.

I'll take your word on the specs. It's just that for some reason the 4's always seemed to me to have a bit more (or maybe just fuller) low end than the 6. At the time (1975) I noted that AR's product line brochure matched the 6 to a photo of the Royal Opera House in Copenhagen and the 4xa to a photo of Judy Collins, and assumed that AR had tuned the 4 series to appeal to customers who were listening to more contemporary music rather than any inherent quality of the designs. But I chose the 6, which should give an idea of which I thought sounded "better."

I'll take your word on the specs. It's just that for some reason the 4's always seemed to me to have a bit more (or maybe just fuller) low end than the 6. At the time (1975) I noted that AR's product line brochure matched the 6 to a photo of the Royal Opera House in Copenhagen and the 4xa to a photo of Judy Collins, and assumed that AR had tuned the 4 series to appeal to customers who were listening to more contemporary music rather than any inherent quality of the designs. But I chose the 6, which should give an idea of which I thought sounded "better."

The Judy Collins picture dated from a late-60's catalog with the 4x, long before the 6 was even available. No "implication" as to the type of program material was intended, I'm sure, other than to show that the 4x sounded so good that even a well-known artist like Collins would "choose" to use them. AR used a lot of artist pictures/endorsements in their catalogs and ads for 3rd-party credibility, like Herbert Von Karajan, Miles Davis, Woody Herman, Don Ellis, and many others. Collins was just one of that group.

Steve F.

In that case, I have no idea why the 4's always sounded to me as if they had a bass boost compared to the 6.

could be the 4's have a higher system Q, which might have hump in the frequency response in the 90-150hz range, it'll make it feel more bassy, but doesn't necessarily go as low....

Archived