Advent/1 - Wood veneer vs. vinyl ratio?

Craig25

Does anybody have information about the production of the Advent/1 wood veneer in relationship to the vinyl? I think it's a great speaker and have owned several pair over the years but they have all been the vinyl cabs. Today I won an auction on ebay for a pair of the wood ones and am really excited about having a pair of these finally. Does anyone have a little more info about them?

Thanks and regards,

Craig

• 2 months later...

Yes, the Advent/1 came only in vinyl veneer.

Originally, the grille was like the original design Advents, fitting inside the front edges of the cabinet, attached with velcro.

Later, the grille fit over the front and had rounded corners, attached with the nipple/socket arrangement of many later speakers.

Doug

Hi Craig

Here’s a useful “Identifying Your Advent Loudspeakers” thread on AK: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126376 It’s consistent with Pat & Doug’s comments that the /1 came only in vinyl.

Hope you were not disappointed with your purchase. I have seen eBay sellers who were either [a] stupid or dishonest in describing woodgrain vinyl (yuck!) as "wood."

OTOH, if you really did score some wood veneer /1s please let us know! Pics would be nice.

Kent

To quote myself:

"I can't say that I've ever seen an Advent/1 in anything but the veneer." by that I mean wood veneer.

I am refering to the one with the plastic framed grille that snapped on the front panel. I've never seen those in vinyl.

The wood veneer, IMHO, was trash. Looks like the cheesy stuff they made cigar boxes out of...

Here are a few photo's. Yes Virginia, real wood veneered Advent/1's do exist. I think that that rounded grill frames only came in walnut veneer. The Audio Karma descriptions don't make that distinction. I would guess that high frequency dispersion is better than the recessed front baffle of the other design. As far as the beauty of the my speakers, the walnut looks as nice as any other Advent or AR's that I own.

Regards, Craig :)

post-102093-0-34431500-1321804040_thumb.

post-102093-0-69259400-1321804060_thumb.

post-102093-0-02565400-1321804072_thumb.

Yes Virginia, real wood veneered Advent/1's do exist.. . .the walnut looks as nice as any other Advent or AR's that I own.

Score 1 for the good guys! Congrats Craig. Happy listening!

Kent

Archived