Parts, all kinds

troppo

Hello all;

I pulled the grills off of my pair of 2ax and right off I see a crushed tweeter dome and two woofers with decayed surrounds. Who has the best replacement parts and service?? I'm on the West coast, not that location matters all that much.

Troppo

Hi Troppo

The woofers can be refoamed. Lots of discussion about that in these pages. Best kits (IMHO) are from MSound. Tweeters are another matter--my 2ax's have hard domes. The problem with most of those is the foam suspension breaks loose. How about a photo of your tweeters?

Kent

If you go to the "links" section, on the home page, you will find "Carl's custom speakers." I sent him my six cone drivers, from my AR9's, to have the surrounds replaced, and a superlative job was done. Each speaker was sent back with an individual graph, showing fs. and impedance plots-I found his prices very reasonable, and the work top notch.

By the way, I live in northern Illinois, so I shipped a little distance-if you ship your drivers to someone for repair, I find FEDEX, somewhat more "humane". as far as package handling is concerned.

foam surround 2ax's have the 3/4" (paper?) dome tweet. if it still makes sound, you may be able to carefully pull the dome back out with a needle.

refoaming isn't too tough, get an Msound kit and have at it. while you have the woofers out, clean the pots, and put new 4 and 6 uf caps in the speakers.

if the tweet is bad, ebay is your best bet.

if you want new, this one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-417 is a highly recommended replacement with IIRC a .15mH inductor in parallel for the 2ax. if you replace, I'd replace both tweets to keep the sound the same between the speakers...

Archived