Dark Water Stain Remedy

troppo

Some time ago I thought that read on this forum, that a mixture of Mayonaise and ash rubbed onto a dark water stain would remove the stain from the Walnut Veneer. This sounds just crazy and who was the first guy to try such a remidy. But I've got to ask. Anybody heard of this??

Some time ago I thought that read on this forum, that a mixture of Mayonaise and ash rubbed onto a dark water stain would remove the stain from the Walnut Veneer. This sounds just crazy and who was the first guy to try such a remidy. But I've got to ask. Anybody heard of this??

Lye is made from hardwood ash and water. Mayonaise contains vinegar. Not sure what happens when you mix the two. I recently bought a pair of ADS 810 speakers. They both had serious stains on top....light and very dark. I was able to remove them by sanding with fine grain (220) on an orbital sander. After sanding I oiled them with boiled linseed oil mixed with mineral spirits and a very small amount of reddish brown stain. If you looked at them now you would never know they had been worked on.

It's the oil in mayonnaise that removes white marks by displacing the water in the wood finish; the ash is just there to keep the oil from separating out. Only works on coating finishes like varnish. Marks in penetrating finishes generally penetrate into the wood fibers and the tricks that work on varnish are ineffective on them.

It's the oil in mayonnaise that removes white marks by displacing the water in the wood finish; the ash is just there to keep the oil from separating out. Only works on coating finishes like varnish. Marks in penetrating finishes generally penetrate into the wood fibers and the tricks that work on varnish are ineffective on them.

The oil in mayonnaise is just vegetable oil and sawdust would work just as well as ash to hold the oil. Most speakers with real wood veneer are oil finished and some stains will penetrate down into the wood and are very difficult to remove without sanding or bleaching. I've worked on dozens of WWll rifle stocks removing stains only to have the stain reappear the next day.

• 8 months later...

Use wood workers bleach, oxalic acid. to get rid of the dark stains. Use latex gloves if you use it, as it crystalizes in the kidneys, and is toxic to humans.

Otherwise, wash with mineral spirits, wipe, let dry, sand lightly with 250-320 grit sandpaper, stain, then oil.

Archived