AR5 new cabinets

Ibis

Hi

Finally sourced the remaining tweeters for my AR5 rebuild ( thanks to your help) and now looking forward to making new cabinets; the previous owner had sawn the originals horizontally in half to fit inside a bureau so they are useless !

This means that as I am not trying to refurbish the speakers as such I was interested in Michiganpats idea of aligning the mid and tweets above each other ( or on a vertical axis above the woofer) to mirror both the left and right hand units.

I would have to keep the internal dimensions the same, I took some dimensions from the sawn ones but I think a section was taken from the height when they were butchered !

From my calculations I have an external size of 343mm wide, 263mm deep and 610mm tall I think I have accounted for the front rebate and from measuring some of the internals of the old 5 boxes and based on a wood thickness of 19mm I have the internal dims of width 305mm, depth 225mm and height 572mm.

Im not sure if the baffle thickness is thicker than the chip board sides?

If anyone has any ideas on this internal volume and also the axis of the tweeters I would be very grateful.

Regards

Ibis

I'll measure my AR2ax cabs, which dimensionally should be the same as AR5's, IIRC I calculated an internal volume of ~1.4 cubic feet. mine are 3/4" thick except for the baffle, which I think is 1".

can do just about what you want with the dimensions, as long as you keep the cabinet volume the same....

I'll measure my AR2ax cabs, which dimensionally should be the same as AR5's, IIRC I calculated an internal volume of ~1.4 cubic feet. mine are 3/4" thick except for the baffle, which I think is 1".

can do just about what you want with the dimensions, as long as you keep the cabinet volume the same....

Thanks Michiganpat

I will have a session with my calculator and see what works out.

All the best

Ibis

Hi

Finally sourced the remaining tweeters for my AR5 rebuild ( thanks to your help) and now looking forward to making new cabinets; the previous owner had sawn the originals horizontally in half to fit inside a bureau so they are useless !

This means that as I am not trying to refurbish the speakers as such I was interested in Michiganpats idea of aligning the mid and tweets above each other ( or on a vertical axis above the woofer) to mirror both the left and right hand units.

Hi Ibis;

Sounds like you are making AR92 copies...... Which have the same size cabinets as the AR91. I believe that there is quite a bit of info on the AR9 series on this sight, including internal cabinet volume.

Nigel

Hi Ibis;

Sounds like you are making AR92 copies...... Which have the same size cabinets as the AR91. I believe that there is quite a bit of info on the AR9 series on this sight, including internal cabinet volume.

Nigel

yeah, basically...

adding volume might be a good thing. if the initial volume actually had a high Q for the woofer, it could have had a slight mid bass bump. adding volume to the enclosure could flatten the response and lower the -3db limit a bit. I don't know enough about the design of the AR5 to know if that's the case or not.

You can download the original AR cabinet construction drawings for the AR-91 and 92 in the library section.

Why not look for some 2AX cabs and use them? I have some extras but didn't look to see your location.

Thansk for your offer Shacky

Im in the UK so a bit of a problem!

I like making stuff so new boxes it is , will post some photos when done

Ibis

So...are you trying to find speaker badges that say "Speaker Formerly Known as AR5?" :)

"A Prince among speakers. "

Indeed!

;)

Archived