Large Advent Loudspeakers

f-stop

I think I have a pair of original Large Advent Loudspeakers.

Crossover looks ok (I just ohmed out for opens and shorts - can't test coils), but the two woofers and one tweeter seem to be shot.

Woofer looks bigger than the original 10", unless I don't know how to measure..

So, the question is, is it worth re-furbishing? Where can I find replacement speakers?

Advent_back.jpg

Advent_crossover.jpg

Advent_speakers.jpg

Yes but make sure the rest of the cone/VC assembly is good. Check the DC resistance of the voice coil. It should be around 4.8 ohms. It's hard to tell from the photos so be sure the coil isn't burned or anything. Are the flexible leads from the terminals to the cone good?

If all is OK, you need to remove the dust cap, ideally with a solvent, be sure the gap where the voice coil goes down into the pole piece is absolutely clean, insert the voice coil down in there, shim it all around so it is evenly positioned within the gap, and glue the spider to the frame.

When the glue sets and dries and the shims are removed, that woofer should be just as good as your other one and ready to refoam.

BTW, those ARE original Advent masonite woofers. A 10" cone in a 12" frame for extended excursion.

Doug

Thanks, I think that's too much for me... I'm just a girl.

So now I've learned that there is very little chance that I can find other speakers that will match the crossover, plus that is old so I don't even know if it's any good. So, looks like I'm going to chuck nice pair of wood boxes (looks like particle board anyway), filled with new-looking foam.

So now I've learned that there is very little chance that I can find other speakers that will match the crossover, plus that is old so I don't even know if it's any good. So, looks like I'm going to chuck nice pair of wood boxes (looks like particle board anyway), filled with new-looking foam.

You can get drivers on ebay. I'd be interested in the boxes especially if they're real veneer.

On the other hand what makes you say the drivers are shot? Do the tweeters make any sound when wired to the crossover?

You can measure the resistance of all the drivers and tell us what you have.

Was the glue breaking loose on that spider to frame joint?

If it was as least partially still in place when you started, you could have

run a bead of epoxy glue over the old joint and down to the metal frame, use

any glue marks to line up spots that might have been loose. This would be hard

to do now that it is completely off. The woofers obviously need to be refoamed

and there are many threads here covering some of the details.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure the cabinets are not real veneer. Edges seem to be covered in some black plastic stretcheable tape..

I'm in Central Florida, Melbourne Beach.

Is there anyone in the general area that would be able to take a look at them and advise me what to do?

And again, thank you all!

I'm pretty sure the cabinets are not real veneer. Edges seem to be covered in some black plastic stretcheable tape..

I'm in Central Florida, Melbourne Beach.

Is there anyone in the general area that would be able to take a look at them and advise me what to do?

And again, thank you all!

These claim to be new replacements for the original woofers but I don't think

anyone here has tested them and other look alike replacements do not have

the same parameters so it is a gamble and they are rather expensive:

http://abtechservices.com/adventspeakers.html

I discuss the abtech woofers here a bit:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2921

I don't know how good you are at soldering but you should remove the old

caps and replace them with modern film types. You could just snip the leads

close to the cap body and use the remaining lead to solder to the new caps.

Measure the resistors with your meter and if the value is correct they should

be fine.

You are more likely to find someone local to give you a hand on Audio Karma.

There are many Advent threads there, here is just one:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=293109

Depends on whether you really want them and how much you're willing to spend. Both woofers will need new foam surrounds. Many of us here like MSound

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

The crossovers are probably OK, so if you're not into soldering in new caps you can get away without (new caps are better, but the old ones "should" still work).

You could look for another woofer on ebay. Often the ones being sold are in need of foam.

You could contact Bill LeGall at Millersound in PA. He can probably repair the woofer and refoam the pair. He'll give you an estimate. Many consider him to be the best.

http://www.millersound.net/indexfl.htm

A couple of members here do speaker repair. Carl has responded to you already, and Minh does good work too. He has a post here, where he mentions other brands but you could PM him regarding your OLAs

http://www.classicsp...?showtopic=6171

If it all proves to be too much, you can "part them out". The good woofer will sell and so will the tweeters. You "may" even find a buyer for the unglued woofer.

Good luck!

And welcome (even if you're "just a girl" :lol: No sexists here)

Kent

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry if this is concidered high jacking a thread, but I have the same speakers and they play, but if i put the positive wire on the connector that says 0 and the negative on the connector that says 8 ohms the speakers sound warmer and fuller, but i was told that the wiring should be the other way. also I am having a tough time choosing a integrated amp to go between my dual 1229 turntable and advents. any suggestions?, if this is the wrong place to post this I am sorry. thanks

sorry if this is concidered high jacking a thread, but I have the same speakers and they play, but if i put the positive wire on the connector that says 0 and the negative on the connector that says 8 ohms the speakers sound warmer and fuller, but i was told that the wiring should be the other way. also I am having a tough time choosing a integrated amp to go between my dual 1229 turntable and advents. any suggestions?, if this is the wrong place to post this I am sorry. thanks

Feel free to start a new thread with a relevant subject title, don't be shy it is a good question!

Archived