Replacement Speaker Cloth

ian hughes

The stuff from 1-2-3 Stitch is the nicest linen I've worked with. It has a nice body to it and looks great. The guys who researched the AR3a restoration manual found it to be the best replacement.

I have not tried Carl's fabric but it certainly looks good, and if you can save some bucks......

For the cheapskates among us: As I've mentioned before, Michael's craft stores sell CharlesCraft Irish Linen 28 count in their cross stitch department. The "Tea" color used to be a nearly perfect replacement but the new stuff they sell isn't. OTOH, it's cheap. IIRC a $9 roll is enough for a pair of 2ax's and Michael's often has 40% off coupons (local paper or subscribe online), so you can do the job with not-bad linen for about 5 1/2 bux. Such a deal.

Kent

The stuff from 1-2-3 Stitch is the nicest linen I've worked with. It has a nice body to it and looks great. The guys who researched the AR3a restoration manual found it to be the best replacement.

I have not tried Carl's fabric but it certainly looks good, and if you can save some bucks......

For the cheapskates among us: As I've mentioned before, Michael's craft stores sell CharlesCraft Irish Linen 28 count in their cross stitch department. The "Tea" color used to be a nearly perfect replacement but the new stuff they sell isn't. OTOH, it's cheap. IIRC a $9 roll is enough for a pair of 2ax's and Michael's often has 40% off coupons (local paper or subscribe online), so you can do the job with not-bad linen for about 5 1/2 bux. Such a deal.

Kent

That is good to know.

I have a set of AR 2ax's that need the cloth replaced.

Is it acoustically similar ?

• 5 years later...

Just an update after all these years, I just ordered a batch of the fabic that RoyC called out in this original post, and I always appreciate his, and JKent's thoughts and advice on rebuilding Acoustic Research speakers. I've done a pair of AR-4ax and my "daily drivers" the mighty AR-3a. Thanks everyone!

Archived