Thinking about getting this pair of AR-3a's

dee1949

Ciao

Thinking about these ar-3a's.....they supposedly have the original woofers....of course need refoaming. Owner said he had the mids and tweets replaced awhile back.....supposedly professionally. Looks like they are all wrong....of course can't tell what they sound like yet. I was thinking at best....they sound alright. Or, at worse ...use them as subs for my Maggies MG I's. The cabinets and grilles are suppose to be in good shape. I know they won't sound original....but I never heard a pair. I had the ar-4x's out of college.

..Also....read you can somehow just use the bass output by skipping two of the back connectors. Thinking about using them with my Maggies to add some bottom end. Any input appreciated.

...Also...can anyone tell from pic if these are early or mid 70's model???

post-103895-1277863898.jpg

I don't know about those. I guess if they were cheap enough, but those mids and tweets do look wrong, and replacing those, plus whatever the woofers might need, could add up. It would be a shame to get 3as and not hear the whole package, but, yes, I think you can just disconnect the crossover jumper on the back of the cabinet and hear only the woofers. Good luck whatever you choose.

I agree with danajohnhill--depends on the price.

I'd like a pair of 3a's myself, and would consider those IF the cabinets are pristine. You will have a lot of work to do and it only makes sense if you are willing and able to do it all yourself.

1. Are those original woofers? It's hard to tell from the photo--do they have flat-sided frames? If not, they are not original woofers. If so, figure about $25 for a refoam kit from M_Sound or elsewhere.

2. The tweeters could be replaced with the Hi-Vi Tweeters RoyC has used. Tweets + inductor = maybe $60

3. Mids are tough. I don't see any on ebay or vintage-AR right now so I don't know what they sell for, but they won't be cheap. And there were about 6 different versions of the mid.

4. While you are at it you should recap the xovers. That could run you $15 for NPEs to $100 or more for film caps.

5. How are the pots? They should be cleaned if OK or possibly replaced.

6. Are the grilles really pristine? New Irish Linen from 1-2-3 Stitch is very nice but not inexpensive.

One of the 3a experts may chime in to help you date the woofers, but be sure to read the AR3a restoration “Bible”. Page 24 describes the woofers and pages 27-28 show photos of the various incarnations of the woofer to help you identify the vintage.

Bottom line, you may have to put a couple hundred dollars (or more) and a lot of work into them. If they LOOK good and you can get them for $100 or 200 it is probably worth it--especially if you want to use them as subs while you acquire the correct mids and all the other parts.

So do you love doing speaker restoration? Do you look forward to the challenge and enjoying the fruits of your labor? Are they cheap? If so--go for it! But if you're not really into the DIY aspect or if the seller expects top dollar for these "professionally" bastardized speakers--I'd say pass. You have to decide what they are worth to YOU.

Good luck

Kent

Thinking about these ar-3a's.....they supposedly have the original woofers....of course need refoaming. Owner said he had the mids and tweets replaced awhile back.....supposedly professionally. Looks like they are all wrong...

...Also...can anyone tell from pic if these are early or mid 70's model???

There is no telling what may have been done to the crossovers, so they may need a bit more work than the usual cap replacement and level control work.

The woofers appear to place them in the early 70's. Cabinet serial numbers would help.

Roy

....hope to get them by the end of the week. Has anyone used these just as an added woofer to Maggies. Seems like it might be a good match. Have a spare SCS 350 watt 4ohm amp. The bases must be worth $75 right. Just would need a refoam job. Know someone who could do that. Will post serials when I get them. Thank you for replies.

....hope to get them by the end of the week. Has anyone used these just as an added woofer to Maggies. Seems like it might be a good match. Have a spare SCS 350 watt 4ohm amp. The bases must be worth $75 right. Just would need a refoam job. Know someone who could do that. Will post serials when I get them. Thank you for replies.

Good luck with them!

You may want to consider refoaming them yourself. If you have a steady hand and a lot of patience it is not difficult. I'd say the skill level needed is analagous to building a model airplane. Here are step-by=step instructions:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

I have been very satisfied with the kits from M-Sound. If you REALLY don't want to DIY, check the CSP "Links" page. Carl's Custom Loudspeakers has been used by many members and has received good reviews. You can also google Millersound--Bill LeGall has an excellent reputation.

Sounds like the ARs as subs with the Maggies should be a nice combo. And while you enjoy those you can watch for a pair of 3a mids and buy the parts for RoyC's HiVi tweeter mod from Parts Express. Then you can restore the 3a's and have the option of using just the woofers or using them full range.

Kent

Ciao

Thanks for replies. Decided not to get them. For any body in Fairfax Va. area. Message me and I will give you his email address. Price was $200.00 but will accept $100.00 cash on pickup.

Will hold out for a pair that I can experience as it SHOULD be. Too ole to DIY. Let the YOUNGSTERS have some fun. "Youth is WASTED on the YOUNG"

Probably a good move.

The AR-3a woofer's crossover point is 575 Hz, so unless you use an external crossover, it's going to be a lot more than a subwoofer for your Maggies.

As previously mentioned, the mids & tweeters are not original, and there's no telling if the mounting holes or crossover have been butchered.

The stands would be nice to have, though.

...the AR-3a's were donated to Charity. They are GONE. If you are in Fairfax Va....you might find them in a Thrift store.

Wow. Some lucky person will find them.

Let's see. If I leave northern NJ now and drive for 5 hours.........

;)

Well, call me cynical but I don't see that these AR3as are worth anything at all. Of the 6 drivers, only two of them are AR and the ones missing are the hard ones to find. Admittedly if someone has a big stock of AR parts/drivers laying around then maybe the cabinets/woofers could be useful but for someone who just wants a usable pair of AR speakers, these have nothing to do with that.

Archived