KLH 30 and KLH 6/17 drivers and sound

joany

Hi,

As a KLH fan, i want to buy a pair of KLH 30; but unfortunately, one speaker has no tweeter and no cross-over at all : so, i want to know what are the differences between the tweeters ,woofers and cross-overs of KLH 30 and KLH 6/KLH17 ( which are not so rare as KLH 30) ? Accordingly to your experience, how KLH 30 sound compare to KLH 6/17 ?

Thanks a lot if you can help and advise me :lol:

Regards.

Information I have says the Models 6 and 30 drivers are the same (12" woofer). All three use the same tweeter, but the 17 is a 10" woofer. I'd definitely audition the 6 or 30; the 17 low end is deficient*, even compared to the AR2, another 10" woofer.

*though not unpleasant, especially in a 3 story wood house, where any noticeable amount of bass travels to other floors.

Hi,

As a KLH fan, i want to buy a pair of KLH 30; but unfortunately, one speaker has no tweeter and no cross-over at all : so, i want to know what are the differences between the tweeters ,woofers and cross-overs of KLH 30 and KLH 6/KLH17 ( which are not so rare as KLH 30) ? Accordingly to your experience, how KLH 30 sound compare to KLH 6/17 ?

Thanks a lot if you can help and advise me :lol:

Regards.

fwiw, there is a pair of 30 tweets and a pair of 30 xovers on ebay now (not mine)

Kent

• 1 month later...
Information I have says the Models 6 and 30 drivers are the same (12" woofer). All three use the same tweeter, but the 17 is a 10" woofer. I'd definitely audition the 6 or 30; the 17 low end is deficient*, even compared to the AR2, another 10" woofer.

*though not unpleasant, especially in a 3 story wood house, where any noticeable amount of bass travels to other floors.

Having had 2 pair of Thirties and one pair of Seventeens at the same time I can assure you that they all had 10" woofers. They appeared to be the same except for a "tic-tac-toe" pattern of some shellac type substance applied to the woofer cones on the Thirties. The tweeters were the same.

I found the two models to be nearly identical in performance and quality of sound (with the Seventeens set flat). Though the two speakers differ slightly in cabinet dimensions, the cabinet volume is virtually identical between the two. The only thing that didn't thrill me about the Thirties was the RCAs - so I changed them out to some home made binding posts which worked really well.

John

Archived