AV570 Power Partners - refoam or replace drivers

Guest spenlinhauer

Guest spenlinhauer

So I found a pair of what I think are the AV570s (powered partners) on the street, and HAULED them home... (they ain't light)

They have the "AR" logo on the front, but no other markings or serial numbers.

Odd that they don't have manufacturing dates or serial numbers on them.

The foam surrounds are shot and I am going to test the tweeters for impedance before proceeding.

From what I have read here there are a couple of things that might need repair:

1> the RCA jack on the back

2> the Foam Surrounds (obviously)

3> the control pots might need cleaning

4> cross-over components

My current question is, if I choose to replace the foam surrounds, its going to run about $30 + TIME

OR I can just replace the drivers with the MCM-55-1853 ($40) or the MCM-55-3853 for about $45.

It seems like it might be worth the $10-$15 to just replace the drivers.

Not that I am not able to replace the foam, just questioning the value in keeping the "actual" AR drivers.**

FYI for future searches, the drivers are labeled:

AR

1210080-0A

501TNI

So has anyone used the MCM drivers?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Are the AR drivers worth re-foaming, or just get the new drivers and know that its going to be a great choice...

SEPP!

**I just took three months, many hours and an absurd number of hours, not to mention the parts to convert an old laptop into a hang on the wall digital photoframe.

It would have been better to just get the www.photovu.com frame I wanted to begin with! Not that I'd don't love tinkering, but I am trying to be smarter!

I can share my experience with an older set of 570's that I restored a year or so ago. The pots were scratchy and foam surrounds shot. Your estimate of prices for surrounds are in line with what I spent. The speakers were easy to refoam, requiring some time to strip down and getting the foam's installed. Radio Shack sells small cans of pot cleaner that brought the volume and tone controls back to life. It's expensive but really works.

The good news, is the speakers can really rock and sound like new. While I have not seen the replacement drivers you mentioned, I can tell you the originals in the AR's are no slouches. It's the reason the 570 still holds their value on ebay. They can pump the music out.

If you are looking for an accurate, full range AR, then you may be disappointed. But if you want a great set of powered speakers to use with laptops or a surround system, they work great. My pianist daughter even uses them on her digital piano, and she is a hard one to please with speakers.

Brian

Guest spenlinhauer

Brian,

Thank you! I have been waiting to hear back before moving on with this! I think I'll go ahead with the re-foam then. Harder, but maybe a bit more fun...(heck there's always time to waste!)

I am a bit of an audiophile myself, but I accept that small speakers = smaller sound.

We have two Yamaha PianoCraft mini-systems and I have to say that for a "bookshelf" system, it is one of the best sounding I have heard.

For my main system I have Definitive Tech BP-10s paired with custom built 15" subs, using an active crossover leftover from my DJ days.

There's something about House music that doesn't work when you can't feel the baseline! *or rattle the neighbors windows!

These will most likely either end up part of a computer workstation in our home office or maybe part of a mini-system in our guest room for those with an Ipod.

I have a pair of old "un-ported" KLH speakers from my dad that are waiting to be rebuilt. I remember the bass being so tight with those.

Thanks again,

SEPP!

• 6 months later...
I can share my experience with an older set of 570's that I restored a year or so ago. The pots were scratchy and foam surrounds shot. Your estimate of prices for surrounds are in line with what I spent. The speakers were easy to refoam, requiring some time to strip down and getting the foam's installed. Radio Shack sells small cans of pot cleaner that brought the volume and tone controls back to life. It's expensive but really works.

The good news, is the speakers can really rock and sound like new. While I have not seen the replacement drivers you mentioned, I can tell you the originals in the AR's are no slouches. It's the reason the 570 still holds their value on ebay. They can pump the music out.

If you are looking for an accurate, full range AR, then you may be disappointed. But if you want a great set of powered speakers to use with laptops or a surround system, they work great. My pianist daughter even uses them on her digital piano, and she is a hard one to please with speakers.

Brian

I'd be interested in finding out more on rehab, either on this board or via PM. I just got a pair, but the RCA jack is dodgy (I think this is the problem) and the sound that comes out is fuzzy, then the thing goes to sleep. The other speaker is just fine and wonderful - what a great product.

Nick

Don't know about it going to sleep but the fuzzy sound is probably related to rotted foam surrounds. I got new surrounds from M_Sound.

Kent

Archived