Classic KLH Model History

administrator

Andy has developed a new classic KLH model history for everyone. I have converted his list into a spreadsheet and am attaching my first draft. Please respond with your comments and suggestions. I will update the next draft with the suggestions I receive here (and that Andy signs off on) and then will place the completed spreadsheet in the Library.

Thanks,

Mark

Classic_KLH_Model_History.xls.zip

• 2 weeks later...

[Looks good!

Correction on the Model Twenty-One. There were FIVE similarly-named radios: The Twenty-One was FM only and had a walnut veneer cabinet. The Twenty-One/II was essentially identical but the knobs were changed grom beige to black and the grille was changed from beige plastic to black cloth. Then there came three vinyl-clad models from the Singer era(early 70s): The Twenty-One FM, the Twenty-One AM/FM, and the Twenty-One CL (clock radio). Attached is a photo of a 21/II and a 21 FM. The AM/FM looked just like the FM. The CL was bigger. Left to right below, that's a 21/II, a 21 FM (not original foam grille) and a CL pic from somewhere on the web.

Kent

• 1 month later...

A note about woofer sizes. It might seem a bit confusing when looking at the woofer sizes I submitted to the KLH Model History page. The sizes listed were taken directly from KLH brochures. It gets confusing when folks today are mix and matching woofers on varies models; Models 6,20,5,23,17, etc. and assigning sizes to them...10", 11" & 12", then some take out the tape measure and see 10.5" or 10.75"...... In the end, you can be more confused then when you started.

My point; If your refering to the Model History page to find out what size woofer to replace in your KLH loudspeaker - best to ask the forum or someone familiar with vintage KLH. Also, many people selling KLH woofers may have incorrect info, and you'll get the wrong woofer. Research pays off and Classic Speaker Pages members are happy to guide folks in the right direction.

Andy

• 1 year later...
Guest Mikie
Andy has developed a new classic KLH model history for everyone. I have converted his list into a spreadsheet and am attaching my first draft. Please respond with your comments and suggestions. I will update the next draft with the suggestions I receive here (and that Andy signs off on) and then will place the completed spreadsheet in the Library.

Thanks,

Mark

Looked at your spreadsheet but didn't locate the speakers I have on the spreadsheet. They are KLH Research Ten speakers, Model CB-8. I just found them out in the garage. I think they are probably twenty years old or so but still in great shape. Ever heard of them?

I don't think the Research X speakers are considered 'classic'

I had some CB-10s, and they didn't measure up to my AR2s, AR2AXs, or KLH 17s. I didn't find much information, either, which suggests they're pretty scarce.

• 1 year later...

Thanks,

Mark

Hello to Andy and Mark, I just looked at the KLH model history as a quick reference for the thousandth time and I wondered if either of you would be offended if I did some updates on the page. I know there's more than a few KLH people that respect the early days of the company but I just want to make some things better about this page , for instance....the model 6 had a 12" woofer, the page shows the 6 and 17 as being 10" woofers, the 20 did not have a Garrrad changer, the 19 did not come with a AM/FH tuner, anyway I have lots of time if either of you will accept my contribution as I believe there are newcomers that reference this page on occasion and I'd like to help make it more understandable, Easy goes it, Rob

• 2 months later...
Hello to Andy and Mark, I just looked at the KLH model history as a quick reference for the thousandth time and I wondered if either of you would be offended if I did some updates on the page. I know there's more than a few KLH people that respect the early days of the company but I just want to make some things better about this page , for instance....the model 6 had a 12" woofer, the page shows the 6 and 17 as being 10" woofers, the 20 did not have a Garrrad changer, the 19 did not come with a AM/FH tuner, anyway I have lots of time if either of you will accept my contribution as I believe there are newcomers that reference this page on occasion and I'd like to help make it more understandable, Easy goes it, Rob

Aha, your statement that the Model 20 did not have a Garrard changer is incorrect! My Model 20 is sitting in my study -- I have owned it since 1971 -- and trust me, it DOES have a Garrard changer. My Dad was a KLH dealer back in the day and the Model 20, the 24, the 11, and the 11W all had a Garrard changer. Thanks!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

KLH Twenty Three mystery question Help!. Hi, I'm new but busy so sorry Profile is not done, I have a chance to buy 4 Model 23's I have a pair that I love already, anyway it's my choice out of six. When I got detailed pictures, I noticed something odd. Among the six speakers all said Model Twenty-three on rear plate all but one had complete little white stickers but two had white stickers that said MODEL 323 SPKR the Other 3 had white sticker saying MODEL 23 SPKR, the fourth 23 had partial that matched the other 23's 

So serial numbers on Model 23's :  AS23 10144 and AS23 10146 close numbers! The other two 23's : AS23 43785  and A23 43????

The ones stickered MODEL 323 SPKR serial numbers are different A323 00113 and A323 00508 close numbers again but newer or older model? What gives.
Just a mystery, trying to figure out if was older or newer. Just the knob on back was different. Black Round Plastic grooved sides. 
Not silver with line and point. Any help much appreciated, I think I should take the 4-Matching ones that say 23, unless the 323 is something special. Thanks for your time! 
Sincerely, Corey

• 5 months later...

Herer is my  pair of KLH Resarch 10 - Classic Five. The woofers are not the orignal anymore. It seemed that the  wood color of the cabinet is also spoiled with dark teak oil.
Aktually I live in Germany and nobdoy knows KLH here . I would be very happy of any hint about these speakers.
Regards Markus

KLH  Research Ten - Classic Five_3jpg.jpg

KLH  Research Ten - Classic Five_2jpg.jpg

KLH  Research Ten - Classic Five_1jpg.jpg

• 9 months later...

Мои колонки KLH, я попал в Финляндию в городе Куанкоски, я восстановил дела, я вставил новые подвески, и теперь я слушаю с приемником Marantz 2238 и вращающимся объектом Lenco L78.

IMG_1312 - копия.jpg

IMG_3496 - копия.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

8 hours ago, Sergey said:

My KLH speakers, I got to Finland in the city of Cuankoski, I restored the case, I inserted new suspension, and now I'm listening with the receiver Marantz 2238 and the rotating object Lenco L78.

IMG_3496 - копия.jpg

I've not seen ribbon tweeters in an early-ish KLH before.

• 1 year later...

why is that excel file.. a zip file??   is it 1995?  even if it was 1995, it can't be more than 5 megs??
does anyone have an unzipped version they can post here? or link to?
I do not have winzip or any "unzip" apps. / programs. 

thank you!

looking for info on elusive KLH model 31
thank you!

43 minutes ago, George P said:

...looking for info on elusive KLH model 31...

Here's all I have on the Thirty-One. It is very similar to the Thirty-Two (which I like a lot), but I'm pretty sure it has a vinyl wrapper rather than real wood veneer.

KLH models pic.jpg

KLH models text.jpg

KLH list p2.1.jpg

thanks! cool pics.   yep  2 way speaker box.  8 inch woofer (but really 8.25 diameter where the screws go)  and a 7.125 opening for the woofer itself.
2.5"  tweeter, I didn't measure but sounds about right.  Mine have the lighter color cloth for the grill (like the model 17 there) not the dark brown pictured.

I find it interesting that it is half an inch shorter than the 32, but wider and deeper. Would that give more bass? it is a sealed box.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, George P said:

why is that excel file.. a zip file??   is it 1995?  even if it was 1995, it can't be more than 5 megs??
does anyone have an unzipped version they can post here? or link to?
I do not have winzip or any "unzip" apps. / programs. 

thank you!

looking for info on elusive KLH model 31
thank you!

Here's a listing of the early KLH products I pulled together. The one at the top of this thread
has a lot of mistakes.

http://www.aphenos.net/electronics/speakers/klh/all_klh.htm