T930 Series II

nfmisso

• 3 weeks later...

The T930 II was a slight revision of the original T930. The 930 was introduced around 1987-88. It was a 10" 3-way acoustic suspension speaker , with a 6 1/2" midrange and a 1" soft-dome tweeter.

BA's design/engineering was extremely competent at that time, and the 930 was a very good, straightforward design. It had a gutsy, ever-so-slightly forward sound quality, solid bass into the mid-40's, and a relatively benign impedance that ensured good compatibility with mass-market receivers.

The Series II was identical to the original, except that the Series II inverted the tweeter and midrange (mid on top, tweeter below in the II), to improve its lobing characteristics. The Series II was intro'd around 1990, and stayed in the line until the VR20-30-40 floorstanding speakers replace the T Series (T830, T930 II, T1030) in 1994.

List price for the 930 and 930 II was $750/pr.

Steve F.

• 5 years later...

I had been looking for shipping specifics for this speaker and BA Customer Service provided me with the following:

T930 II specs

Frequency response: 42-20000Hz

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Sensitivity: 90 dB

tweeter: 1" CFT5 dome

Midrange: CFM 6 1/2" copolymer

woofer: 10" copolymer

Recommended Amplifier power: 15-150 watts

Crossover frequencies 350 Hz, 2500 Hz

Dimensions: 36 1/2" X 10 1/4" X 12"

933 X 267 X 305mm

Weight: 50 lbs. 23 kg

And from another entheisuast forum:

T930 II 90dB SPL 1W@1meter

• 1 month later...

Not to "diss" Steve (or Andy Kotsotos, who did the original 930), but the Series Two was RADICALLY different than the original. The crossover topology of the Series II bore NO resemblance to the original. For both far- field (reverberant) and "near field" listening conditions, the sonic differences between the two were large enough to think one was listening to different brands. If I had to characterize these diferences, the original had that "concert hall" warmth, while the Series II was more "detailed" or "analytical".

The T830 also underwent a radical change in its crossover design (but retaining the original driver placement). I can’t remember if their was a model # change, but again, the audible differences were HUGE.

Regarding these very pronounced audible differences, I’m not saying which is "better". The best analogy I can give is comparing the AR3a to the AR 9/10/11 seies. Some prefer the "original 3a sound" to the newer ones. With no access to sales data, I couldn’t tell you if the "improved versions" did well or poorly in the stores. Off course, since I voiced the "improved" versions, I naturally believe the later versions were "better" ...LOL.

Of the three "towers", my personal favorite is the T830 (with the newer crossover)! It may not have the bass capabilities of its larger siblings but had the smoothest and most neutral sound in both the far and near- field. I’m theorizing it probably had better power response because of its smaller midrange driver. The 830 were also easier to move around for best placement. Add a powered sub and that would be MY ideal BA system for "stereo listening’ in it’s simplest form.

The irony of my post is I never OWNED any of the towers mentioned despite my "re-working" the crossovers ("voiced them"). Maybe someday!

• 1 year later...

Gerry,

Very interesting to read about the change in x-over design on the T830. Please see attached link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/210503-building-c830-center-channel-match-boston-acoustics-t830-t930-t1030.html

I noticed a big difference in the sound of the 'donor' pair vs. the pair that I've had since the early 90's. Is there a change in serial number or a date code that someone can look at to determine which version a pair fall under?

Was there any change in drivers? Or could someone simply swap out the crossovers to achieve the improvements?

Thanks.

Dan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Honestly, I can't remember. If I had to guess, the newer version had the terminals on the back.

Here's how I would test/distinguish them just by LISTENING TO THEM (preferably using pink noise). Keep in mind that crossovers determine the "radiation pattern"  where the various drivers "meet", aka "crossover".

With the original, smoothest response between the midrange and tweeter is pretty much "on axis" of the midrange/tweeter drivers. When listening  "sitting down" or "low" to the floor, response is uniform.  However, as you stand up, the sound balance can change noticeably, perhaps by seeming perhaps "duller". That's due to a "dip" in in the response (at/near crossover) as you move up from the speaker axis.

The newer version minimizes this "lobe"; not much tonal change between listening "sitting down" and "standing".

Listening evaluations can be performed using just ONE speaker (instead of a stereo pair). I prefer "pink noise" as a source, since it's repeatable and continuous. Lacking that, music with mid/high frequency content should reveal differences. Listen in the "near field" (about 2 meters away) so that the drivers "integrate" fully, but before the room alters what you hear.

Listening to  "a stereo pair",  the newer version should have a more "focused" central image with a mono source (pink noise or a vocalist). That "focus" is also better maintained as you "stand up". Again, the differences are most noticeable when listening in the "near field".

Great info!  Thanks for such a thorough explaination of the difference in designs.

I see that the 930 has terminals on the bottom, & 930 II has them on the back. So I imagine you are correct that the older 830 has them on bottom and newer on the back. 

A neighbor loved the 830 set that I sold a few years ago to a friend. I'm helping him shop for a pair. 

I have two systems w/ 1030's now, and do miss the 830 set sometimes.  Maybe I'll get another set some day when my wife is out of town:)

• 3 months later...

This is a newbie question. What crossover design does the T-830 have? LR4? the reason I ask is that I originally had them connected to a Nakamichi Harmonic Time Alignment receiver and they sounded awesome in a room with poor geometry, speakers on either side of very wide windows, couch too close to speakers. I've yet to find bookshelf speakers that can match the T-830s for a decent sized listening area and good spacing in this tough room. Wifey has banished towers in the FR, so I set up a better system in the basement. But I would like to improve things in the FR.

• 1 year later...

The T930 II with the 6" midrange over tweeter reminds me very much of the PSB Stratus Gold,

they even have similar crossover network designs.  PSB's are vented and VERY well done.

Interesting that in searching for a picture I found a tweeter over mid version that I'd never 

seen before, so they did the flip also:

This speaker uses a custom 6.5" Vifa mid that is very similar to one off the shelf and the 

very common aluminum dome tweeter from the 1990s with a custom faceplate.

PSB-STRATUS-GOLD.jpg

PSB-SG-OLD.jpg

• 1 year later...

Interesting to see this thread still running more than 18 years after the OP. I just grabbed a pair of T830 (x-overs on the rear) for my son to run on my old vintage system (Philips AH735 from 1978). It's a 30-W receiver and pairs extremely well with the T830. Very musical combination. With their sealed cabinets, the 830 do fast, tight bass which I love. The speakers might be a tad small for my listening room and so I'm thinking T930 Series II would be the answer for my system. Speakers are so room dependent and a matter of personal taste. Still, I wonder if any one can comment on the 930 bass compared to the 830. Bigger isn't always better, and no, I'm not interested in using a sub. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

joerand,

I was just revisiting this string and noticed your post.  I have owned 830 (Series II) 930 (original) and 1030 sets.  I found a significant difference in bass response between 830 & 930.  Difference in bass response between 930 and 1030 less noticeable.  All are wonderful speakers.

My listening spaces for these speakers are very large and L-shaped (LR open DR upstairs, Home Theater open to Billiard Rm downstairs).  

I have to agree w/ Gerry.  My favorite of all combinations over the years, is 830 Series II paired w/ a competent sub (M&K are my favorites).  Honestly, if I ever find a nice local 830 II set, I'd probably swap them in for my upstairs 1030 set.   I'll stick w/ 1030 set for home theater. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised anyone feels the CFT3 tweeter in the T830 is capable of producing better sound than the CFT5 in the T930. And the T830 woofer vs the T930 woofer was night & day to me.

All of the components in the T830 were sub-standard, in my opinion. I've heard similar comments in other forums though, so what do I know?

Scott

• 1 month later...

Well, I currently have 3 pairs - T830 with original crossover, T930 series II, T1000. All 3 are wonderful speakers!

I agree with tvdantv that the T930 has more bass than the T830 and T1000.  In my room, the T930 sounds a bit boomy and I get more balanced bass with the T830s andT1000s, coupled with an SVS sub.

Regarding the tweeters, I find the CFT3 a bit shy - not a problem if you have an old fashion treble control. The CFT5 is a bit more expressive.

• 5 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 12:56 AM, Jose Fernandez said:

Well, I currently have 3 pairs - T830 with original crossover, T930 series II, T1000. All 3 are wonderful speakers!

I agree with tvdantv that the T930 has more bass than the T830 and T1000.  In my room, the T930 sounds a bit boomy and I get more balanced bass with the T830s andT1000s, coupled with an SVS sub.

Regarding the tweeters, I find the CFT3 a bit shy - not a problem if you have an old fashion treble control. The CFT5 is a bit more expressive.

replace the polyfill with R19 fiberglass insulation, it makes a huge difference.

• 1 year later...

Man I know this is an old thread but not allot on these. I’m about to pick up a pair tomorrow, if there in good shape .  I’ll have a listen and if they sound good I’m bringing them home.  Asking $85 now so let’s see if I get them for less . Wish me luck 

• 7 months later...