KLH Model Fives Recapped

Guest pbda

Thanks for the response Kent! 
The 2x4 MFD will be replaced by 2 of the 4uF, correct? The original 2x4 has 3 wires, how do I connect the 2 units of 4uF replacement caps?

Do I really need to replace the resistors too? Thanks 

see attached photos

D8940F39-B2AB-479C-A2F5-2F2CA943C5EB.jpeg

259A20FC-DE2D-4B55-9BD2-642BF612FCA9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Arch420 said:

The original 2x4 has 3 wires, how do I connect the 2 units of 4uF replacement caps?

Just twist one lead from each cap together, or solder one lead from each to the common point.

2 hours ago, Arch420 said:

Do I really need to replace the resistors too?

Short answer: no. But look at the previous posts in this thread. I have seen burned and/or cracked resistors in KLH Fives and Twelves. Most old speakers came with 10w resistors. The Fives and Twelves had 5w resistors. New 10w resistors cost about a buck apiece so I figure they're cheap insurance.

Kent

his photo shows what I mean. The wires from one end of each of 2 caps are soldered to the same point. These happen to be 3.9uF but that's close enough.

2x4uF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at Service Bulletin 60 http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/other/klh_schematicsservice/klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

It says to also apply the sealant to the surrounds on the "Twelve point five" speakers (the mids).

btw, don't forget to coat the dust caps on the woofers. If you want to conserve the sealant goo you can use thinned white glue on the dust caps, since they don't need to be flexible.