AR-9 re-re-surround help

I purchased a pair of AR-9s a few months ago and they're absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, the person who re-surrounded the woofers did not spend the time to align the coil in the gap, and there's a rub. I can "push" the cone radially outward and it'll stop rubbing for a short time, but it returns in a few minutes. I think this will eventually short the coil :( I've tried rubbing a little bit of acetone on the replacement glue and I was unable to remove any of it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would someone be willing to repair this for me? Or sell me an original woofer?

Thank you!

See if the person you bought them from remembers what glue he used. Acetone is not a typical diluent for adhesives. I work for a large company that did lots of adhesives. Lacquer thinner, toluene and MEK might be better - BUT it all depends on the glue used. Use a well ventilated area to do any work with those solvents.

Where do you live? If you are close I'd be willing to take that on for you.

Yeah, Boston would have worked. Shipping is crazy expensive at the moment.

Let us know if you find out about the glue used.

Be careful not to destroy the masonite ring on the outer edge (under) of the surround. A good sharp exacto blade might cut the glue on the surround edge glued to the cone. Just take your time.

7 hours ago, baffled_loudspeaker said:

The seller used M-3035 adhesive. Do you know what could dilute it?

Also, you're sure there's a masonite ring under the outer edge of the surround on the 12" AR-9 woofer? It's not just bonded to the metal basket?

Thanks again.

If it is Simply Speakers adhesive, the primary solvent is toluene.

12 inch woofers manufactured by Tonegen had a raised area stamped into the woofer basket instead of the masonite ring.

Roy

On 3/11/2024 at 12:28 PM, baffled_loudspeaker said:

The seller used M-3035 adhesive. Do you know what could dilute it?

Also, you're sure there's a masonite ring under the outer edge of the surround on the 12" AR-9 woofer? It's not just bonded to the metal basket?

Thanks again.

Toluene will work well. Wear nitrile gloves. Toluene will pull fat from your body right thru your skin.

Attached is a picture of my AR91 woofer that shows the masonite ring.

127_2720.JPG

20 hours ago, DavidR said:

Attached is a picture of my AR91 woofer that shows the masonite ring.

Good photo...I don't believe I have ever seen an original AR-9 woofer without the masonite ring.

OP probably should post a photo if he is in doubt as to whether he has original or Tonegen replacements(s). It is important not to damage the ring if it is present.