Value of sixes and 12s

Jim Pearce

The Sixes sound just a bit overpriced. Right now on eBay there are Sixes selling from $120 to around $250. My Sixes were purchased for $85 about three years ago. The cabinets were in perfect shape, but one of the tweeters was dead. If the drivers and cabinets are in great shape, it's probably a much better deal.

It they are truly early Model Sixes, and it sounds like they are because of the surface mounted crossover switch, the woofers will be epoxied instead of mounted with screws. The early Sixes supposedly sound a bit better than later models, but that comes with a price: In order to change the caps in the crossover, you will have to go through the back of the cabinet since you can't remove the epoxied woofers without major damage to cabinet and/or woofer. And the caps will absolutely, definitely need to be replaced since they are at least 60 years old. 

$250 for Twelves actually sounds very reasonable. They're much less common than a pair of KLH Sixes and I don't think I've seen a pair of Model Twelves available online for years, and I'm constantly looking at eBay and Craigslist. The 12's were designed to be used with an accompanying equalizer. Do the speakers you are looking at come with it? I'm guessing here, but if they come with the equalizer, it probably needs some work, priced at $250. If not, there is currently one available on eBay for $200.  As to how they sound, I don't know since I've never actually heard a pair. They are a three-way system, supposedly with the same tweeter and midrange as the Model Five, along with a unique 12" woofer. Perhaps some of the more experienced CSP writers can chime in on that. 

Edited by Norman Nicolai

3 hours ago, genek said:

"Locally" is a much bigger factor than it used to be. I'm seeing shipping quotes on many vintage speakers that are higher than what those same models were selling for 3-5 years ago.

Agreed...Not to mention the risk of damage via shipping.

If the 12's are close to you I would reccomend the drive to determine the condition of the cabinets and very that all drivers are working properly. The size of the cabinets may be of concern unless you have ample space to accommodate. If in good condition I would spend $250 on them.