Protecting original AR pots

tripleguy

The power required to generate enough heat to damage the pots would fry all the drivers first, but the minute levels of heat generated from normal use may hasten oxidation. The best way to reduce the likelihood of this is to coat the windings and wiper in dielectric grease to block their exposure to air.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:50 PM, tripleguy said:

Yes

I was just wondering if you could close off the opening to keep mineral fiber out of them. I did apply a thin layer of silicon already. Pretty thin.

I would advise against closing off the openings. I've seen pots with melted plastic shafts due to excessive heat from hard use (which is probably the reason AR eventually went to metal pot shafts). Tarnish and corrosion will always be a greater problem than the fibers.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Admittedly, I used clear polyurethane and a small artists brush to apply it on the corrosion prone areas of the pots. The brass rivet heads that clamp the resistance coil, the center rivet and plate (but not the outer contact trace), and the 3 terminals, sealing them from moisture. The resistance wire I left alone. 

IMG_8881.jpeg