Unknown I’d?

I just acquired these beautiful speakers by auction.  There is no name plate on grille  or label on cabinet.  Most puzzling…the cabinet is solid with nowhere external to attach speaker wire???  Neither the grille or back panel seem “easily” removal. Searching online they “look” like some AR or Pioneer pax??  If anyone could send me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  

B5F74805-BAFF-41B6-89A7-820FDDBB9DE6.jpeg

D73EBA27-1C11-4F36-8AED-A5985F6BB265.jpeg

B19D0912-BDFB-4FDC-993F-1575058F6BCE.jpeg

FFBE046C-774C-4DC8-8C5E-4DF3333CD080.jpeg

Looks like an AR-2a grill. If it is a 2a, the back has been veneered, and
nicely so, it would appear. Have you looked on the bottom to see if the
terminals are down there?

Yes….I expected to find connections on bottom but the whole thing is solid???  Getting grille cloth off won’t reveal connections but should I remove for ID?  Is it stapled on?  I’m thinking try to remove back piece but wonder what damage might be done? Safe to say from bunch of pics I’ve looked at that the wire connections would be backside somewhere??  Safe to say no Bluetooth buttons anywhere😂. This is weird right?

Found staples in grille and thanks for the link for removal.  Does anyone have a set that can measure from top, bottom and both sides to find center of the speaker cable port.  I don’t think I have much choice but to use a small hole saw to access the port.  Also if someone could measure the diameter of the port too?  What an unexpected challenge?!?

I'd probably go through the front first, just to confirm the crossover is in
the original location, or even exists. No telling what other mods have been
done to these.

First thing I would do is try tapping the back where the terminals on an AR would be to see if there's a hollow sound. Someone's veneer job may have been interrupted before a terminal opening got routed out and the terminals may still be there under the veneer.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:49 AM, MichaelW said:

The stand is solid walnut pocket screwed into the bottom so that is not factory either correct?

Right. It also seems upside down. The woofer is usually on the bottom when floor placed. Someone did a lot of quality woodworking on these. Looking forward to you solving the mystery. Keep us updated. 

Ouch. That means that when the speaker is positioned properly, there will be exposed holes.

BTW, if that is a 2a with the cross-fired mids, proper positioning is laying it down horizontally. Cross-fired drivers should not be vertical.

Could that whole back panel be removable? I’d try prying it off. From the pics it looks like a frame of maybe 1/4” walnut around the new panel. If you’re lucky it may be attached with velcro. Just a thought. 

All great info….I’ve worked around the edge of the back panel in hopes it might pry off but this far it seems right.  No fasteners I can see.  The putty knife isn’t hinting at Velcro behind either.  I’ve read more and despite their decent size these were intended to lay on the horizontal not stand as stated above! 

I "had" a pair of 2a's. The grille does come off but not easily. There's glue and, IIRC, nails. But if you do get the grille off you can get inside by removing the woofer and maybe at least figure out where the terminals are. I suspect that Gene is right and they weren't moved, just covered up.