Restoration/repairing 4XA

arcss

Sorry for any bad English... Google Translate 🙂

I recently bought these speakers for €30. I have no experience with these speakers, but saw a nice project in them. I don't know if I should regret buying them.

My findings and ideas:
- 1 tweeter has been replaced by a random one by the previous owner. The tweeter hole is eaten out.
- Would it be an original front? Most on google are beige/white.
- I can make completely new enclosures.
- I can renew 1 baffle

Simply put, I don't know how to get started, any help is welcome 🙂

(where I bought them there were a few more where the housing was more damaged with white/beige fronts for €25, should I take the risk and try to put them together?)

IMG_20230128_203014.jpg

IMG_20230128_202827.jpg

IMG_20230128_203018.jpg

IMG_20230128_203224.jpg

I got the other couple today. The tweeters of these have the wiring along the back. I strongly doubt what I will do. New enclosures? New baffles?
New  ...? Could it be that the pair on the right had renewed baffles? They are more intense black and other tweeters/mids.

IMG_20230130_193855.thumb.jpg.95c03a72140aba562728c48e1cf98f94.jpgIMG_20230130_194157.thumb.jpg.f6ee4a70d500d23aed61568ab453d26e.jpg

1 hour ago, Aadams said:

Have you verified the tweeters and woofers operate?  If they are all working, you got a good deal for 55€.

The pair with back wired tweeters are later versions.

I just checked and everything works.
The replaced tweeter does not sound nice, the other 3 are okay.
I have the impression that the decrease/increase button does not change anything. I don't plan to sell them immediately, but I do plan to upgrade and restore them to their glory. I just don't know yet if this will be in new housings 🙂 

The pair on the right are later versions with backwired tweeters. They were painted darker when made because the grills were removable.

What kind of shape is the veneer in? If the cabs are decent generally, you can splice in a new mounting board for an original size tweeter.

If you can post pics of the veneer faces and the backs we can give you better guidance about the cabinets.

4 hours ago, arcss said:

I will start by recreating 1 pair with new tweeters

What do you mean by recreate?  Do you mean custom build? Bespoke?

When you say "new" tweeters, do you mean the later version AR tweeter or a never used new non AR tweeter?

You should use either the pink or yellow fiber glass that came in the cabinet.

It's a Google translate translation... now with my own words🙂

I mean rebuild the speaker cabinet, with new wood and using the original measurements.
The tweeters don't gonna be original but those: https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-PRT-8-Phenolic-Ring-Tweeter-8-Ohm-270-252?quantity=1 (I can't find originals for a good price in my environment.

Take a look at this thread. It discusses replacement tweeters for the AR-4xa:

On 2/8/2023 at 12:58 AM, arcss said:

I mean rebuild the speaker cabinet, with new wood and using the original measurements.

Or... maybe strip off all the ugly vinyl and apply real wood veneer.

Kent

On 2/9/2023 at 4:30 PM, JKent said:

Take a look at this thread. It discusses replacement tweeters for the AR-4xa:

Or... maybe strip off all the ugly vinyl and apply real wood veneer.

Kent

I have read the article. I think it is going to be the phenolic ring tweeters (1 pair) becaus there is not much to find in the environment.
Maybe I can make somebody else happy with the good working tweeter with a friendly price on ebay.

Strip the ugly vinyl .... we'll see 🙂

On 2/8/2023 at 2:49 PM, Aadams said:

I would try to remove and reuse the filter board.  Replace the capacitors before reinstalling in the new cabinets. Your own words work better than Google translate.

My english teachter would love to hear that 🙃
I will try to remove it, but everything is very good glued 😞