Schiit DACs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Recently I have been fussing with my system and had run into a situation that may be of interest here. Hoping it is not against protocol to post a link to another site discussion, if so please advise and I can disable.

AK Schiit discuussion.

Bottom line is I used an Uber Modi 2 for years and networked using USB with fine results. Schiit has recently disabled the USB port and must be direct from source now. The Bifrost I recently added is far superior to the Modi, and has single handed triggered me to spend more time critical listening. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, stupidhead said:

I used an Uber Modi 2 for years and networked using USB with fine results. Schiit has recently disabled the USB port and must be direct from source now.

The USB is disabled because of sometthing Schiit did?

On 11/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, stupidhead said:

The Bifrost I recently added is far superior to the Modi, and has single handed triggered me to spend more time critical listening. 

Are using a MacOS or Windows

Thanks

On 11/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, Aadams said:

The USB is disabled because of sometthing Schiit did?

Are using a MacOS or Windows

Thanks

While I do not claim to understand all of this as I might like, my belief is during a firmware update of the Synology (OS 6 > OS 7) we lost the USB functionality that was. I am no longer able to wirelessly use the NAS "Audio station" while on my home network and must use wire from Dell windows laptop into Schiit, as opposed to the previous configuration of NAS output into Schiit. I hope that makes sense.

Using Windows laptop due to the need for a USB output from source. An old Dell is temporarily plugged in all the time for convenience of not plugging/unplugging connection when using.

Biggest take away is the dramatic difference from Uber to Bifrost. Warmer, richer, more analog sounding! 

3 hours ago, stupidhead said:

Biggest take away is the dramatic difference from Uber to Bifrost. Warmer, richer, more analog sounding! 

Nor am I an expert.

The newest Schiit DACs have on board Schiit proprietary firmware that eliminates the need for USB drivers IF you use W10, 11, MAC OS or any LINUX that is UAC2 compatible. New Schiit designs will not work with any OS that is not UAC2 compatible which means your NAS will probably never work directly connected to the Bifrost, unless Synology makes their product UAC2 compatible. I surmise that your "old Dell" is W10 or 11.

Reading about the differences in Bitfrost and Uber Modi I am not surprised that you are hearing better sound. 

What player are you using.   I am still on Itunes awaiting W11 Apple Music.

I am using the "audio station" within the Synology package center of the NAS. Early on I toyed with Plex as a player but was annoyed by it trying to alter tags and art that I have intentionally created. iTunes was similar.

I should probably look into it a bit. Question in my mind is there a difference in the resulting quality of the file played or is the player just the vehicle?

6 hours ago, stupidhead said:

Question in my mind is there a difference in the resulting quality of the file played or is the player just the vehicle?

The player helps you manage the files, and reads and prepares the file for transport to the DAC.  It should not affect sound quality except for bugs that interrupt the continuous flow of data.

6 hours ago, stupidhead said:

iTunes was similar.

Yes Itunes is error prone and careless with artwork that is not of Apple origin. I still buy some CDs and use itunes because Apple has a vast library for discovering new music, ALAC works and it makes wireless streaming at cd quality simple.   I listen to specific music selections.  If I were building playlist streams by different categories I would not use Itunes. 

When Apple Music becomes available on W11 I will purchase a new DAC, probably a Schiit, and compare HI Res streams to high quality CDs to see what I may be missing.