Refinishing woofer cone on Model 5, bad idea or easy fix?

Brad1234

I know the response will likely be don't mess with the vintage woofer cone at all, but thought I would check if anyone has had any luck with re-staining the woofer cones on KLH woofers?  I got a little carried away wiping the woofer cone with a damp rag and now it has a little discoloration throughout. Someone had written numbers on the actual woofer cone and I wanted to wipe them off. I dont want to apply any paint that would affect the sound, but maybe gently wiping a water based stain or watered down acrylic paint or dye?  Just trying to figure out if this is something others have done to restore discolored woofer cones with success?  Probably not but thought I would check.

Also, do I put the surround sealant on the voice coil cap?  

D7AEA71F-8D4A-4CFD-BCBF-8DCAF7DFB26B.jpeg

6A022430-1B2C-4EA6-B663-AF925E3D1F6C.jpeg

6 hours ago, Brad1234 said:

I know the response will likely be don't mess with the vintage woofer cone at all, but thought I would check if anyone has had any luck with re-staining the woofer cones on KLH woofers?  I got a little carried away wiping the woofer cone with a damp rag and now it has a little discoloration throughout. Someone had written numbers on the actual woofer cone and I wanted to wipe them off. I dont want to apply any paint that would affect the sound, but maybe gently wiping a water based stain or watered down acrylic paint or dye?  Just trying to figure out if this is something others have done to restore discolored woofer cones with success?  Probably not but thought I would check.

Also, do I put the surround sealant on the voice coil cap? 

Brad,

The "someone" who wrote numbers on the woofer cones was in the KLH factory. They are found on many KLH woofers, and indicate (most likely) the free air resonance of the woofer. The abrasive action of removing them, and/or the application of additional materials to the cone, can change its response characteristics.

It also appears "someone" has replaced the original dust caps with something different. That wasn't the best idea either, unless the originals were badly damaged. In any case, those caps are already sealed. There is no reason to put anything on them.

Roy

8 hours ago, RoyC said:

Brad,

The "someone" who wrote numbers on the woofer cones was in the KLH factory. They are found on many KLH woofers, and indicate (most likely) the free air resonance of the woofer. The abrasive action of removing them, and/or the application of additional materials to the cone, can change its response characteristics.

It also appears "someone" has replaced the original dust caps with something different. That wasn't the best idea either, unless the originals were badly damaged. In any case, those caps are already sealed. There is no reason to put anything on them.

Roy

Oh man, I didn't realize the factory wrote those numbers on there?!  Thanks Roy. I wish I hadn't wiped them off, I didn't use much abrasive action wiping them off with just water, so I hope I didn't change their response characteristics?  I guess I learned my lesson. 

My general rule is to only touch the drivers when it is necessary, for example, to apply the proper surround goop and to remove the driver to access the cabinet internals. I've had some drivers (not KLH) that had lots of dust/dirt on them. I wipe with only a dry cloth. If light wiping does not remove what is on the surface, then it stays there.

Face it, KLH speakers are ugly when the grills are removed. They are the last speakers I would want to play with the grills off. Keep the grills on and it does not matter what the drivers look like.