Maintaining Oiled Walnut Finish

Charles218

I noted in a December 1965 AR memorandum that one should re-apply boiled linseed oil to the finish about every six months. I'm just curious to know if that is the current opinion on how to best maintain my AR collection. I tend to spend time enjoying the sound and have spent very little time on the finish.

Veneer.pdf

2 hours ago, Charles218 said:

I noted in a December 1965 AR memorandum that one should re-apply boiled linseed oil to the finish about every six months. I'm just curious to know if that is the current opinion on how to best maintain my AR collection. I tend to spend time enjoying the sound and have spent very little time on the finish.

Veneer.pdf 222.88 kB · 0 downloads

Hello Charles

You've been away for a while.

Which habit are you asking about?  Frequency of application or material applied?  I prefer Howard's Feed and Wax over linseed oil or Watco for maintenance.  As for frequency, I dust weekly but can't remember the last time I re-oiled or waxed a cabinet.

Yes, I have been away, the older I get it seems that the more there is to do, so a few other areas of interest have been pulling me away from audio for the past year or so. 

I really like Howard's Feed and Wax, and have used it extensively, but mostly when I was restoring cabinets. I guess I never thought about it when it comes to routine upkeep. I wanted to post here and get a sense of what would be the best way forward. I'm certainly willing to use the AR method with linseed oil, but something about it seemed old fashioned. I was hoping that there was something like Howard's that is certainly much easier to deal with, and at the same time does not comprise in quality.

Any other thoughts on this?

I don't know what kind of home environment AR envisioned for their oiled finish cabinets, but I have 50+ year old ARs that have never been reoiled. A bit of furniture cleaner/polish/wax from time to time is all they've ever needed. Reapplying finish oil is what you do when your original finish has worn or oxidized to the point where bare wood has become exposed.

Periodic use of Scott's Liquid Gold liquid wood care on my oiled walnut speakers has kept them looking like-new since my mother introduced me to the product in 1970. Boiled linseed oil works well, too. 

ar2s.jpg

Scott's is mineral oil with a small amount of naptha added. The naptha acts as a cleaner and the oil as a polish. Replace the naptha with d-limonene (citrus oil) and you have "lemon oil" furniture polish. Both are effective cleaner/polishes, but they do not catalyze (harden) so they are not wood finishes.

Boiled linseed oil catalyzes, so it is a wood finish. But I wouldn't use it as a polish.